Help! Legacy V2 Motor mounts

cybor462

Hi all finally getting around to building the Legacy V2. Had it for some time. First FT foamboard plane. I have been following the videos and I am at the section to install the motors. I bought the bundle which should be complete. I dont have the X mounts. The 4 screws I have for the motor are small and would not be long enough to thread into the motor can from the backside of the firewall. I think I was shorted the mounts. Have I missed something?
Thanks

WillL84

So you have the plywood mounts but not the X part that mounts to the motor?

My first V2 kit came with the nice nylon motor mounts so I took off the X mounts and bolted the motors right to the plastic firewalls. My new kit came with all laser cut plywood so I had to ptu the X mounts back on the motors (luckily I had saved them!)

The X parts should have been in the boxes with the motors themselves IIRC. They may have changed to a different motor now though, who knows lol.

Here's the motor that the PP C should come with: https://store.flitetest.com/ft-radial-2218-1180kv-brushless-motor-v-2/

Mine look similar but didn't come with the spinner style prop nuts, only the regular nylock ones. I got mine a couple years ago though with my first kit.

If you are indeed missing those X parts look in the motor packaging again. If they're not in the motor box then shoot FT an email and I'm sure they can get you sorted.

IMG_0107_1__95729.1662667267.JPG

cybor462

So you have the plywood mounts but not the X part that mounts to the motor?

My first V2 kit came with the nice nylon motor mounts so I took off the X mounts and bolted the motors right to the plastic firewalls. My new kit came with all laser cut plywood so I had to ptu the X mounts back on the motors (luckily I had saved them!)

The X parts should have been in the boxes with the motors themselves IIRC. They may have changed to a different motor now though, who knows lol.

Here's the motor that the PP C should come with: https://store.flitetest.com/ft-radial-2218-1180kv-brushless-motor-v-2/

Mine look similar but didn't come with the spinner style prop nuts, only the regular nylock ones. I got mine a couple years ago though with my first kit.

If you are indeed missing those X parts look in the motor packaging again. If they're not in the motor box then shoot FT an email and I'm sure they can get you sorted.

IMG_0107_1__95729.1662667267.JPG
Hi Will84
I emailed FT and they answered. Apparently they no longer supply the x mount nor do they supply plastic horns. My guess trying to save a few cents. My motor is different. It came with very small short fine threaded screws (for countersunk holes) and they want you to screw them in from the back of the wooden firewall directly into the can. Because the screws are for a countersunk hole they end up losing a mm or two since the shoulder of the screw is not going into a countersunk hole. This leaves only a couple threads sticking thru the firewall to thread into the motor can. Not good. They say to use loctite but this is a disaster waiting to happen. So I will hunt longer screws with no shoulder and I will still loctite them in.
They changed to a nylon rudder horn because according to their video it saved the rudder from stress from the tail wheel. They no longer use nylon and have gone back to thin plywood. Not because wood is better in this case nylon would be the way but I guess to save a few cents they went back to wood. Just like they went from aluminum landing gear to 3d printed. Again a cost saving move that is far less secure than the aluminum ones. Sure 3d printed could be ok but plastic will crack when aluminum will not. If it was CF 3d printed ok but it is not.
I guess its a foamboard plane so maybe cheap is king. I would still prefer to build it right instead of cheap. I would have gladly paid $10-$15 more for the bundle to get much better parts. Would have been much easier than me trying to hunt this stuff.
I will try the plastic gear but for sure I am getting longer screws for the motors.

WillL84

Hi Will84
I emailed FT and they answered. Apparently they no longer supply the x mount nor do they supply plastic horns. My guess trying to save a few cents. My motor is different. It came with very small short fine threaded screws (for countersunk holes) and they want you to screw them in from the back of the wooden firewall directly into the can. Because the screws are for a countersunk hole they end up losing a mm or two since the shoulder of the screw is not going into a countersunk hole. This leaves only a couple threads sticking thru the firewall to thread into the motor can. Not good. They say to use loctite but this is a disaster waiting to happen. So I will hunt longer screws with no shoulder and I will still loctite them in.
They changed to a nylon rudder horn because according to their video it saved the rudder from stress from the tail wheel. They no longer use nylon and have gone back to thin plywood. Not because wood is better in this case nylon would be the way but I guess to save a few cents they went back to wood. Just like they went from aluminum landing gear to 3d printed. Again a cost saving move that is far less secure than the aluminum ones. Sure 3d printed could be ok but plastic will crack when aluminum will not. If it was CF 3d printed ok but it is not.
I guess its a foamboard plane so maybe cheap is king. I would still prefer to build it right instead of cheap. I would have gladly paid $10-$15 more for the bundle to get much better parts. Would have been much easier than me trying to hunt this stuff.
I will try the plastic gear but for sure I am getting longer screws for the motors.
Yea the new landing gear is definitely trash honestly. The printed parts are holding up but the spring wire you need to bend is so soft that just the weight of the plane doing taxiing on even a grass field bends them all over. I'm still searching for a better gear setup for mine.