Balsa bashing

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Not so much balsa in the pictures today.
The motor and esc was to pic up at the local minimarket.
120216-01.JPG
120216-02.JPG

Loosen the 2 axle lock screws at the front and take away the lock washer at the back - the washer will shoot away - newer to be found again....
120216-03.JPG

Take off the bell to protect the ball bearings when you gently press the motor axle all way in and tighten the stop screws.
120216-04.JPG

120216-05.JPG

Back is now front - the locking washer is not needed - the motor is ready to mount inside the motor bay - on Saturday if any time is free for playing with the toys.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
120221-01.JPG
It is about 40 years since last time i covered a plane with silk.
It is not at all the same as the iron on cover used today.
The "smell" of dope is recognized by many seniors.

Attachments

• vikingsilk.JPG
    vikingsilk.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 28

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Some pictures.
The covering started on the 21st of february.
120221-01.JPG

WINGSILK2.JPG

Today was time to think of the hinges - naturally in "old school" Esaki Silk.
The Falcon will get the hinges in dark blue but the Viking will get more hidden in same color.
120317-03.JPG

120317-04.JPG

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I use dope to glue the silk on to the balsa. Stretching the silk and fastening it with needles as shown.
The silk is thigh from the beginning.
On the first picture one half of the wing is just glued and not doped at all.

When dry (glued) i "paint" with 50% dope and 50% thinner. Remember to "paint" upper and bottom together not to get it screwed up.

2nd "paint" is with thicker dope and just fast not to wet the silk to much.

I know there are many ways to do it. Many people wet the silk before they apply it.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The rudders and ailerons are on and today it is time to make horns and pushrods. 2 mm ply and 1,5 mm pianowire. The V-bend is for adjustment and servo protection.
BILD 2.JPG

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
It's absolutely amazing to see someone with enough patience and skill to turn a bunch of sticks into a finely crafted flying machine. I especially like your use of silk covering. I hope they fly as good as they look.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The Viking and the Falcon 56 are assembled and the installation is checked. They are now in the queue for paint job.
120406-011.JPG

Another disaster happened to me.
An old play friend from +40 years back told med that he had bought an old control line model from me. One that we flew in our garden with 7 m (23') lines - compared to the recommended 12m (40') and with a Fox 15 (2,5 cc) enginge compared to the recommended 1 - 1,5 cc.
I was curious and visited him to find the model fragile as egg shells....
120408-04.JPG

A bad statement - i might build a copy if the motor is still OK - and there we are.......
120410-01.JPG

120415-20.JPG

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
120504-01.JPG

The balsa has got one coat of dope and the silk is soon to be on.
120504-02.JPG

Andre - it is not easy to video yourself when you are flying :-( See if someone will help with a camera when we are flying this summer.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Some parts for the fuselages.
fuse.jpg

Well - it is not to become a "banana" if anyone says so.....

I love those circles with needles in them, my Ouma(Grandmother) has over 30 full and I like putting them on a stick and spinning them. Then you get hypnotized by all the moving colours.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I loved the part where the lines get tangled: you let go, turn around... And wham!
Did the plane survive? It seemed to just bounce!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Control line Aircraft and the Insanely High cost of Radio Remote controlled craft is what kept me out of the field for 40 years. :(
Cheap Chinese RC is what resurrected my interest and reentry into the RC field only a little over a year ago.

Thurmond