Balsa Robelen's Parakeet Biplane

Qwenther

I acquired a partially built Parakeet biplane a while back, and I've been planning to finish that model as a converted electric for years. I only recently however found hidden in my stash of miscellaneous parts a motor that might have the juice to power it. I had an Eflite Power 15 motor lying around that I've been meaning to use and now I've the chance. I did notice that this bird does not have ailerons in the original design and the built wings didn't either. So I did a little modifying and now there be ailerons. A relative made one of these model, with ailerons, and I kinda wanted to honor his work with my model. I also plan to do the center pilon for the upper wing a little differently too. We'll see how this turns out.

004.jpg IMG_20210309_195338084.jpg IMG_20210309_195344457.jpg IMG_20210309_195350620.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Good fortune to you! I look forward to the seeing it come together. have you considered a livery?

Qwenther

Finally finished the hardest modification to the fuselage and got the lower wing ailerons almost done. Unfortunately, I also figured out that I'm gonna have to rebuild the upper wing from scratch. The one I received won't work for this bird. However, waste not. I could use the old wing for something else. Anyway, how y'all like the center struts?
20210414_230101.jpg

Phin G

Elite member
Finally finished the hardest modification to the fuselage and got the lower wing ailerons almost done. Unfortunately, I also figured out that I'm gonna have to rebuild the upper wing from scratch. The one I received won't work for this bird. However, waste not. I could use the old wing for something else. Anyway, how y'all like the center struts?
View attachment 198157
If you ad in the 3d printed engine and remove the lower wing then you will have a sort of pietenpol looking craft. Love the shape of those fuselages

Tench745

Master member
View attachment 198157
Are those cabane struts carbon fiber or steel? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Qwenther

Are those cabane struts carbon fiber or steel? It's hard to tell from the picture.
They are actually 3/32 aluminum with 6-32 stainless steel screws holding it together. That's how my grandfather did his biplane, and I love that design. However, installing the screws on the inside using a standard hex wrench is a major pain.

Qwenther

I've managed to towerkote the fuselage, battery hatch, and most of the tail. I've also mounted the landing gear, motor, and prop. Now I just have a few small details to finish and the fuselage is done.
20210426_231536.jpg

Qwenther

I found an ESC! just one problem it ain't got no internal Bec, which means the rx got no power. I'm using a big 3s lipo so power isn't an issue. my question now would have to be, is a Ubec like the Hobbywing 3a switch-mode one a good idea or has somebody got a better one that don't involve a rx battery? I really don't want to have to use 2 lipos.