Battery Help!

Trains1213_YT

Ok so I might be getting a emax buzz 6s for christmas and I was wondering if I could use a tattu 6s 120c 1300mah lipo with it. I know that the 6s and 1300mah are fine however I dont know if 120c will burn it out or if I should just get the 75c

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If a 75c 1300 mah pack will work then a 120c 1300 mah pack will be fine.
To calculate battery amps, take the C x MAH / 1000 = Amps. Example a 75C 1300MAH battery can battery can supply 97.5 Amps (75 x 1300 / 1000 = 97.5). As long as your application draws less than 97.5 amps, you will be fine.

The 120c battery will be at to supply 156 amps. It’s perfectly fine to use less amps than the battery can supply, just don’t exceed the amp limit.

Trains1213_YT

If a 75c 1300 mah pack will work then a 120c 1300 mah pack will be fine.
To calculate battery amps, take the C x MAH / 1000 = Amps. Example a 75C 1300MAH battery can battery can supply 97.5 Amps (75 x 1300 / 1000 = 97.5). As long as your application draws less than 97.5 amps, you will be fine.

The 120c battery will be at to supply 156 amps. It’s perfectly fine to use less amps than the battery can supply, just don’t exceed the amp limit.

So I dont know if I am getting this right but when it comes to quads is it the more the better because I am trying to chose a good battery.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So I dont know if I am getting this right but when it comes to quads is it the more the better because I am trying to chose a good battery.
Yes, higher a higher C rating is generally better.
In general, higher C batteries are more expensive and can be heaver. No need to buy a lot more more than you need.

quorneng

Master member
Trains1213_YT
The final question is "How much do you believe the manufacturers C figures?"
There is more than a little evidence that extreme C figures are more for marketing than being factual. The manufacturer does not state the effect on the battery or its life if you do discharge it at the rate claimed.
For example if you using the majority of the battery capacity in say a 6 minute flight that's an average discharge rate of just 10 C. In this case even a 20 C battery will be able to easily provide twice the average flight power in short bursts. Using a 120 C battery will make no practical difference apart from the cost of buying it in the first place. ;)
It is possible that a higher C battery might be better made so runs a bit cooler and may last a bit longer but nothing is guaranteed.
As Merv suggests there is no need to buy 'more' than you actually need.