Battery Operated Hot Glue Gun

So, I'm designing a Field Case to hold my TX, PowerPods, Batteries (In a Lipo bag of course), extra props, and a glue gun and glue. I right now only have the cheap adtech $6 glue gun, but was planning on upgrading to the cordless sure binder as it gets a little hotter, takes bigger sticks, an people seem to be having marvellous success with it. I was wondering if it was possible to cut the cord off my glue gun and replace it with an XT60 connector to make it portable. This would mean that I wouldn't have to order anything more offline as I have like 3 packages in the mail an 1 on backorder, shipping is getting kind of annoying.

Also, speaking of Lipo bags, does someplace like best it or Walmart sell them or do thy really only sell them online?

Thanks in advance!!!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
All the hot glue guns I have require AC power, so you'll need a heavy inverter connected to your XT60 connector... not worth it in my opinion and your best bet is to just buy a battery powered hot glue gun like the one I use for small projects (not good for building something like a FT Cruiser or Versa Wing):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Multi-Tem...33582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Don't need to ship it, unless you don't have a walmart near you.

It's perfect for field kits, and that's what I use it for... uses AA batteries, and only the mini glue sticks, unfortunately... Great for repairs and such. Actually, I did build a FT-22 with this glue gun, and the original Versa Wing, but it was sloppy because the glue just couldn't come out fast enough for that. I also used it with the cord for those builds...

All the hot glue guns I have require AC power, so you'll need a heavy inverter connected to your XT60 connector... not worth it in my opinion and your best bet is to just buy a battery powered hot glue gun like the one I use for small projects (not good for building something like a FT Cruiser or Versa Wing):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Multi-Tem...33582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Don't need to ship it, unless you don't have a walmart near you.

It's perfect for field kits, and that's what I use it for... uses AA batteries, and only the mini glue sticks, unfortunately... Great for repairs and such. Actually, I did build a FT-22 with this glue gun, and the original Versa Wing, but it was sloppy because the glue just couldn't come out fast enough for that. I also used it with the cord for those builds...

Well since no store that I know of sell them within 50 miles (gotta love dumb target, Walmart, and all of them) I'm afraid this isn't an option.

Why not just buy one from HK? Got one, and it works fine.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25431__Battery_Powered_Hot_Glue_Gun.html

While you're at it, get a battery operated soldering iron, and you're good to go.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29828__Soldering_Iron_30watt_12v_3s_XT60_plug.html

So, I guess when I order my stuff for my quad, along with the 70w soldering iron (if RadioShack doesn't get theirs back in) I'm going to be ordering the glue gun an ion go my box. Thanks for the tip as I never would have thought of a soldering iron coming in handy at the field.

N1KHB

Portable soldering iron

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I've been the route on portable irons. The conclusion is that rechargeable irons suck. I have used many types of irons at work and at home. I have an industrial grade Weller iron for use at home. I also have 3 different butane irons, and they are all great. I'll take those any day over a battery one. I have a Weller catalytic, a Bernzomatic catalytic, and a Bernzomatic flame type. The catalytic types are safer, but the open flame one isn't bad either. They all take cigarette lighter butane for refills. I got a couple of them at Walmart, and they mostly differ in available accessories. The Weller has a small heat gun tip and is great for shrink tubing. The others have a small torch tip, and all have various soldering tips. One even came with a hot knife tip. Your mileage may vary.

Best,
Sonny

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
An inverter to run a soldering iron is neither expensive nor heavy in addition to not drawing many amps either! A $15 150 watt inverter should be overkill for any soldering iron on the planet of the size needed for RC Model use.

Thurmond