PRO200 GLUE GUN: short question

Ludodg

I think I made a silly mistake.
I made an order for some parts .. and added the ADTECH PRO200 GLUE GUN just to have a proper glue gun.
.. But I live in Belgium, Europe
I guess over there at Flitetest, you have 110V and not as we do in Europe: 220V, is that correct?

Could not find these details on the box, but the power cord/plug gave it away that this tool is not designed for our power outlets.

Might have to go search for a convertor :(
Can someone confirm?

Ludodg

added question .. maybe for the techies ...

I'm looking for a convertor that converts our 230V (50Hz) tot 110V
In the details of the ADTECH PRO200 GLUE GUN I read "200W"

Should I understand this as .. this glue gun will need 200W (so 200:110 = 1,8Amps)
...or this glue gun will generate 200W of heat ...

And ths: how much Watt shoudl my convertor be able to deliver: 200W or more or less, ... to be able to work on the safe side?
Thx in advance.

Paul-H

Hi

How about looking for one of the building site converters they drop 220 down to 110 with loads of power to spare, they can usually be picked up quite cheap and some don't cost a fortune new either, check out your local builders merchants.

The AdTech guns are sold in Europe under the Tacwise brand name

I have one but to be honest found these to be much better and much cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400685482330

Might be worth getting one of those if its cheaper than the converter option for he one you bought.

Paul

Last edited:

Ludodg

the problem is, it' s too late, paul :p
While being very motivated I didn't think about these issues .. and ordered one allready, which now sits on my desk, together with the FT-parts for a next build.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Maybe if you only plug it halfway in :)

Seriously, It does sound like you would be better off taking the loss and buying the ebay one linked above.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
yeah you can buy 200W converters. Here's a 300W UK one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-...xgy_198_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=01THXWX2P5XTQ044C8R4

but you can probably buy a decent glue gun for the same or less. I would just cut you losses.

Maybe try and give it to someone that lives in the US?

Since FliteTest do some international business you might suggest they put a warning on items in they catalog that only work with US 110V. It's a fairly expensive glue gun and it cost quite a lot to ship.

Ludodg

cost? Oh yeah!
This item made my order/shipment much larger and heavier .. so Belgian customs had it in their scope .. and charged me another € 130,00 on top of this $300,00 order
auch.
Costly mistake

Paul-H

Cut your losses and get the one I linked to and try and sell your 110v one on. Someone might have the converter and be looking for something to use on it.

vespamac

Adtech Pro 200 glue gun, 220 Volts conversion

I think I made a silly mistake.
I made an order for some parts .. and added the ADTECH PRO200 GLUE GUN just to have a proper glue gun.
.. But I live in Belgium, Europe
I guess over there at Flitetest, you have 110V and not as we do in Europe: 220V, is that correct?

Could not find these details on the box, but the power cord/plug gave it away that this tool is not designed for our power outlets.

Might have to go search for a convertor :(
Can someone confirm?

Hi Ludodg! Here´s the solution to your problem: You can EASILY convert your adtech glue gun to work with 220 Volts! It´s a 30 min job at almost no cost. Disclaimer: I do not recommend this task to non-professional electricians, every attempt is done at your own risk, Perform safety test after mod is completed!
Here´s want needs to be done: open the housing (six screws). Take the entire electric cabling including heating chamber out of housing. Remember how cabling was located IN SAFE DISTANCE from heating elements!!! You will recognize four (4) heating elements mounted around heating chamber. These elements are connected IN PARALLEL to each other, so every one is consuming 110 Volts. What you do is apply Ohm´s law and simply re-wire the elements, so that two elements each are connected IN SERIES to each other (in series they consume 220 Volts now!). Then you connect the two resulting "two-elements-in-series" in parallel to each other. Swop US style with a european mains connector and remember to also exchange the glow-bulb with a 220 V version, harvested from a lighted electrical switch! Put all the wires back into the housing, carefully making sure all wires are put away in safe distance from heating elements. Close housing, perform safety check. Done. I hope I could help! Kind regards, vespamac

Ludodg

wow, that's a neat trick.
Indeed switching from elements in paralell to serie sounds very reasonable.
I micht give it a go :)
THX!

Ludodg

I am planning on making the conversion to 230V, as Versamac described.
Would this be good stuff to make an article about?

Paul-H

The Tacwise version is often sold for silly money, I often see it for as much as £80 to £90, I got mine for around £40 but to be honest I use the £15 one I listed above a hell of a lot more. The Tacwise one has an anti drip feature that makes long runs of glue difficult as every time the trigger is released the glue is withdrawn from the tip to reduce dripping, then to continue gluing half the next trigger pull is waisted re filling the tip. The cheaper one does not do this so is much better for long glue runs. And any dripping is is minimal anyway so it's not a problem.

vespamac

Adtech pro 200 glue 220 volts hack

Hy guys! Here is my next suggestion: In rcgroups I found a thread that explained how to use a regular light Dimmer to adjust the voltage on which the glue gun operates. I fitted a 500 Watts Dimmer next to a receptable in an insulated electrical box, connected 2 m length of cable with a connecter, boom! 30 min job and my 200 Watts glue gun is now adjustable. And you can use the mobile Dimmer box also to dim the lights at the Christmas tree! Have fun! Best regards, vespamac