Beginner Warbirds

edfjockey

I agree with Suenaga, if you can fly a trainer already, you will have no problem with this in safe mode. with this as you get better you can switch off the SAFE self righting option and fly acrobatics and still have the "OH CRAP" button to save you if you lose orientation. Great sport-scale look too. As for wilsonman's thoughts on this, my family has had pilots flying in every war and we all fly sport-scale WARBIRDS for fun and cause we've flown in the real things. If your nervous when you fly for fun, your not having fun. Get an easy flier and have fun. Best wishes and fun in the sky.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Personally I am not looking forward to this as I know they will provide planes that fly like trainers... and not like warbirds. Its a shame.

Ofcourse you're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't see why this is so negative. Technology progresses, and it's getting easier and easier to fly these machines. In the 80s there was resistance to putting tail gyros on heli's, but now there is nobody that can fly without. At the same time, I don't understand why anyone would want to fly a heli or multirotor with self-level... It totally kills the awesomeness of flying a heli! But that's my opinion, and thus I'm not using SL. If others do want to use it, who am I to say they can't?

Coming back to flight characteristics of a warbird, once someone has better flying skills and wants to know what it feels like to fly a 'real' warbird, then this person can go right ahead!

(oh and by the way, you could also make the comparison driving an automatic or manual car. Personally I hate driving automatic - so I drive stick by choice)

If your nervous when you fly for fun, your not having fun.

I can tell from experience, you will have to go through this (and it is fun!). I was *messing my pants the first time I lifted off my Trex 500 into a hover. Now hovering inverted 3ft off the ground with my Goblin 700 still scares me a little, but I do it! It's a thrill!

Last edited by a moderator:

edfjockey

If you do not feel the tension they felt as you fly do you really get an understanding of that? No. .

This is the part I was commenting on when I said "if your nervous when you fly your not having fun." Niether myself or any of my military pilot relatives have never felt anything like flying the real planes when we grab a model. I have a SCALE 90 glow Corsair and won awards with it and it flys nothing like the real thing, I have retired that Corsair now to be a wall hanger and have switched to fun-scale and sport-scale and even some not to scale look-alikes to get more manuverability and stability. I'm just saying have fun, and don't let fear of what might happen slow you down.

P.S. just started building my 2cd FT style corsair with an extended wing span by 2" and in glide tests (almost slope soaring off a hill in my yard) it flies like a dream and because I only changed the length and not the width the alierons are still wicked responsive.:cool: