Bending Landing Gear Wire

J Bergsmith

Wanted to get a tool that would make bending landing gear wire easier and more accurate. Purchased this off of Amazon and it works perfectly. It was 40 bucks and worth every penny so far. Easy to use and comes with different bending radius wheels. Just put it in your vise and away you go.

image.jpeg

Wanted to get a tool that would make bending landing gear wire easier and more accurate. Purchased this off of Amazon and it works perfectly. It was 40 bucks and worth every penny so far. Easy to use and comes with different bending radius wheels. Just put it in your vise and away you go.

View attachment 70230
Hi J.B. I saw your post recently and bought this product. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it. The directions don't make sense to me, and amazingly, while it seems like I can usually find a YouTube video to use any product, I can't with this one.

Could you possibly post some photos of how to use this product to bend landing gear wire. Thank you!

P.S. - Josh B must be a superman! Check out how easily he bends the 2.5mm wire for Simple Storch at
about 50:59 into the video. I *LOVE* Flight Test and Josh is my hero, but I can't be the only person who notices this, can I?

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hi J.B. I saw your post recently and bought this product. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it. The directions don't make sense to me, and amazingly, while it seems like I can usually find a YouTube video to use any product, I can't with this one.

Could you possibly post some photos of how to use this product to bend landing gear wire. Thank you!

P.S. - Josh B must be a superman! Check out how easily he bends the 2.5mm wire for Simple Storch at
about 50:59 into the video. I *LOVE* Flight Test and Josh is my hero, but I can't be the only person who notices this, can I?
It amazes me how easily he bends that stuff, LOL

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Found a video for a similar product:
not sure what the different size discs do

Bricks

Master member
You guys are making this too hard, if you need a tool, honestly, pick up a set of fencing pliers. I bend wire practically for a living with these things...
View attachment 204510 View attachment 204511

Bend, twist, fold, even cut wire far bigger than most of our hobby wire. Any hardware store for under 20 bucks...

Yes Sir if you can work with 200,000 psi High Tensile any thing else is like bending a coat hanger. Man this stuff will challenge you each and every time.

Phin G

Elite member
I think the bits of round stock i have will be to thick; i manly work with 50mm stock on the lathe. I could whittle them down to make some? 🤔🤔If you have thin wire then it would be easy to bend using needle nose pliers and a vice.

Piotrsko

Master member
You're all overthinking this except for @Hondo76251 . A vice is handy for symmetrical and holding stuff but my tool of choice is a pair of Klien linesman pliers for up to 1/8" diameter. And a propane torch or kitchen gas stove does wonders for everyone but my wife who doesn't even cook.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

You guys are making this too hard, if you need a tool, honestly, pick up a set of fencing pliers. I bend wire practically for a living with these things...
View attachment 204510 View attachment 204511

Bend, twist, fold, even cut wire far bigger than most of our hobby wire. Any hardware store for under 20 bucks...

Replaced a mile of fencing with one of these, great tool. Kinda like a portable vice for wire