best choice for small yard: horizon sport cub s or a ft might mini?

Jrl

I currently have an apprentice and built a bloody baron, but would like a slow flyer for my yard. Which of the above would be better for a smaller area? I would like to fly in the morning before work and before any wind picks up. The build would be cheaper but I'm worried about weight when I compare the specs for both. I'm sure I could build it light, but I don't know how light.

fish

get the sport cub s because I have it Lol know nothing about those mighty mini's

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Flying Monkey, why the Champ over the Sport Cub S? SCS BNF is $99, the Champ is only RTF and is $99.

I am not sure I disagree ( have both) but I would like to know your reason.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I revise my answer... I didn't notice that the Sport Cub was a UMX. WITH ailerons. Yeah, I'd buy one of them, AND build a mighty mini.

MrClean

Also, you will be amazed at the effects of the stabilization on the cub. Breeze was coming over the top of my house and I thought nothing of it till I put it in advanced mode and my "Smooth" flying conditions turned straight into "Choppy". Went right back to smooth with a flick of a switch. Its not correcting anything you would't do it just senses it as it happens where you have to wait for the model to deviate, see it and then correct it. That turns out to be a lot of lag.
But then BUILD a mini.

Jrl

Thanks for the replies. With the release of the ft tiny trainer, I may have another plane to consider.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Thanks for the replies. With the release of the ft tiny trainer, I may have another plane to consider.

With a wingspan of almost 40", that plane may need more room than a small yard.

That said, I still don't know how big your yard is. I just know that there is No way it would work in my postage stamp yard.

Jrl

The ft trainer is also much heavier than the cub. That's a great thing in the wind and parks, but not for my yard. It's only 120' by 70'. We picked the neighbourhood because of the trees but its not helping my new hobby.

nic872

me 2

Yea i just got into the hobby and i'm surrounded by trees i only have a small opening to fly in and the closes park closes at 5.

Nortmic

So you are still in a decision?

I fly my sport cub in my yard. I take off from my deck. I love the sport cub and my kids (7 and 10) have no trouble flying it. We are about to build a FT trainer but i would purchase the sport cub again if I was starting out.

Jon L

I watched the FT video on the Sport Cub S on Saturday and went by the LHS on sunday and ought one. Just finished flying it in a 4 or 5 mile breeze and had no problems at all, no crashes that is. It did take some right trim but that's all. the Safe mode is great. I haven't tried the other modes yet. The only other planes I've had any luck with are a couple of foam gliders that I made into pushers and they have been crashed and repaired numerous times. They have been reinforced with bamboo skewers and tape and are still flyable. Any way someone looking for a beginner plane couldn't go wrong on the Sport Cub S. A nanoqx is a great indoor trainer also.

flyboy10

+1 for the Sport Cub S - very small, light, and easy to fly. If you're looking for something in a small yard and you're used to an Apprentice, it should work out very nicely for you.

Jrl

Thank you for all the posts. I picked up sport cub and I'm really enjoying it. It's a mini apprentice' It can definetly fly fast on a higher throttle setting. I'm still working on my slow speed skills. It did find a tree, but it dropped out with some shaking.