Best FT plane for thermal soaring?

Karlk.

Hi,
I want to build a powered thermal soarer and was wondering what FT plane was the best for this. The plane should have a motor, ailerons, a rudder and an elevtor. I'm not afraid of simple modifications like adding ailerons, but I'm not experienced enough to build a plane without any plans. I was thinking about building a Tiny Trainer or a powered Version of the Simple Soarer. The Tiny Trainer would have all the functions I want, but the wing would be smaller than the Simple Soarer. If I make the wing longer I fear it will break. The Simple Soarer would have a bigger wing, but I would have to add the motor and ailerons myself, which is scaring me a bit. :D

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums!!

How about bashing the two kits together? Build the Tiny Trainer or Storch fuselage (depending on which one is a better length match) and stick a Simple Soarer wing on it?

Karlk.

Welcome to the forums!!

How about bashing the two kits together?

Interesting idea... I have to think about that one. :D

This is my friends design, it is AWESOME! It looks like it would be a perfect fit if you have some space.

Wow, that one is huge. :D I'm afraid the wingspan of 7.5 ft./2286 mm is a bit much, as I usually go to my flying field on foot or by bike.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
My friend makes a giant train of airplanes when he goes to the field to fly lol, you just need a wagon.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I just ran across this FT article with a motorized glider plans too

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/serene-a-four-channel-motorised-glider

SereneDone.JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That looks sleek hmm... how do I earmark this? Ah forget it, I'll just download, print and build tomo.... wait I have something to finish... dang...

(FoamyDM Shouts to the back room "Agnes! add this plane to the build list!"
"Sure thing boss, You know your list is up to 20 right?" Aggie yells back writing Serene Glider to a long wipe board filled with plane names.
"Yeah yeah" he mutters back, as he leans over the Flying Pancake plans trying to figure out how he can get it built in 3 days, scratching his head)

Pointing a finger at the screen he mutters... "You haven't seen the last of me Serene..."

Thanks RockyBoy.

@ Karlk. - Welcome to forums. The FT Simple Soarer can be motorized. I have never flown mine. It was my first build so it's not hard.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
If you truly mean thermal soaring, then you've effectively answered your own question. Of the FT designs, the Simple Soarer or the Tiny Trainer with the trainer wing are the only options available.

Neither have ailerons but they aren't necessary. I would go with the Simple Soarer as it's bigger. You don't need to worry about designing the motor mod. It's already been done for you.

If what you really want is a motor glider with aileron performance, check out Ed at Experimental Airlines (YouTube) he has something, the Photon I think, that looks to fly exceptionally well. Have fun!

Last edited:

Karlk.

I just ran across this FT article with a motorized glider plans too

That plane looks realy nice. Sadly I don't have access to a 3D printer and I would prefer a plane with a removable wing. I think I will just go with the simple soarer. Finaly had time to skip through the build video and realized that I was also designed to be used with a normal power pod. I will leave the wing straight and put ailerons on. Or I could build the wing of the Storch and put that on there, just for fun. :cool:

Thanks for the input though!

Karlk.

I would go with the Simple Soarer as it's bigger. You don't need to worry about designing the motor mod. It's already been done for you.

Yeah, I didn't have time to watch the build video until now. I didn't see anything on the website about the power pod, so I assumed it was gliding only. I've never flown a plane without ailerons, I imagine I would be missing them very much. Maybe I'm wrong though.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I fly a lot of planes with and without ailerons and I notice that they aren’t there but I don’t miss them. If the model is designed to be a 3 channel plane without ailerons then it flies fine without them.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I fly a lot of planes with and without ailerons and I notice that they aren’t there but I don’t miss them. If the model is designed to be a 3 channel plane without ailerons then it flies fine without them.

That sounds right to me. Assuming mode 2, you plug the rudder servo into the aileron slot on your receiver. You'll be fine.

And you can still abuse it some if you want to. Hold some down elevator with your rudder and you can stand it on a wingtip :cool:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
The best plane to do that to is a nutball with the highest rates that it can physically allow. It’s a ton of fun.

aelflyer

If you look at the foamboard DLG designs by NerdNic, Flyboa, and FAI-F1D, there are some powered versions of these DLGs that come in at 150g - 250g.

Here's a 2.0m powered glider by flyboa/boa2110 with an AUW of 200g, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CP3aeQlmc&feature=youtu.be

Some references:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39079351&postcount=482
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1999696-Dollar-foam-DLG/page33
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?16730-nnDLG
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/foamboard-spinster-f3k-beginner-dlg

Karlk.

If you look at the foamboard DLG designs by NerdNic, Flyboa, and FAI-F1D, there are some powered versions of these DLGs that come in at 150g - 250g.

Never even thought about building a DLG myself, but with these instructions I might give that a go. I will build a Simple Soarer for now, a selfmade DLG might be my next project. ;)

FoamyDM

That sounds right to me. Assuming mode 2, you plug the rudder servo into the aileron slot on your receiver. You'll be fine.

I did this yesterday -> putting rudder in the aileron spot. Then I had my elevator servo go wonky and flew it 2 channel

Here's the part I realized it was two channel:
Here is when I unplugged the elevator and just flew it. Throttle was 25% most of the time:

dutchmonkey

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/foam-thermic-50x.19074/
This is my thermic 50x the fuse and full flying stab can be difficult to get right but I have out thermaled many full house gliders with it. You can even use this wing on the TT to gain some span. Also moving the CG back on the TT like I have it on my design helps it signal lift. Thermal flying is different then sport flying it is much more relaxed you wont miss the ailerons. The reason most thermal duration planes have ailerons and flaps to to control the lift the wing produces but start simple and concentarte on looking for lift.

Last edited:

donalson

I'm building a simple soarer but using explorer wings.... supposedly the trainer wing was designed off the soarer buy made stronger... I'll try the aleron sport wing at some point on it as well... There is also someone who made a note aero nose for it with a 3d printer on thigaverse... It'll allow a folding prop also....

There is also plans somewhere on ft of a guy who made the tiny trainer wings superb long... Bassicly the sport wing buy the full length of the dtfb... He says it's great for sharing and thermallig... once the elevator rates where dialed in

FoamyDM

To add to what I said, I went and fixed the Servo to fly a few days later.
20180610_130934.jpg

Let's play the game - Who can spot the FT Simple Soarer? In the foreground of these pics is Bill. He is the Resident Soaring Expert at my Piedmont Aeromodeler's club. When I launched he had just finished bringing his UMX Radian in. He was very kind to give me a few pointers and tricks as I went and caught my first Thermals. If you read this - Thanks Bill.
20180610_131611.jpg 20180610_131614.jpg 20180610_131617.jpg
If I was were wearing shoes and had a good reclining chair I may have been there a While. It was fun and easy to play in the drafts. and I was out there bringing the battery to maybe 50% in 8-10 minutes.

@donalson - I would also build the Soarer Wings. Either way have a blast. RC afterhours / FT afterhours has a couple episode they talk about Radians. Listen to it. they talk about what to look for when gliding. Like if the wingtip kicks up, turn in that direction - it kicked because it scraped the edge of the column of rising air.

Last note - The FT-SS is light (even with a 2200 3s.) and mine was looped out from the updraft a number of time for being so light weight.