Bit the bullet, gone DJI all the way.

StuartPB

I've had a couple of multi rotors now, with various bits of kit for aerial video footage, including one I built myself. I want to start getting into semi pro video work through our social enterprise, offering out services to local companies and individuals who want quality aerial images and video. As with everything in life, the initial outlay was a concern. Even so, I decided to go with a Phantom 3 Pro as the multi rotor set up. I know the DJI RTF quads get some hammer in the hobbyist community but I've flown with the Naza M and loved the experience. I'm hoping the same will hold true with the Phantom 3. They are expensive bits of kit, but the extra outlay removes some worries for me:

1: Covered by warranty, if I'd have built a custom quad I wouldn't have that.
2: All parts work well together, proven platform.
3: It seems easier and cheaper to get insurance on a pre built, ready to fly quad than a fully custom one. At least that's the experience I've had so far with the quotes I've had.
4: Parts are easily available (Even easier with a custom quad but still a deciding factor).
5: Ease of use.
6: The 3 axis gimbal and 4k camera were a big draw for me.

The plan now is to spend the spring and early summer honing my flight skills and also aerial photography/video skills. I've taken some photography modules when I was at uni a few years ago, as a mature student, that I hope will help with this. Once I feel ready, I'll then be taking my 3 day course so I can apply for Permission for Aerial Work with the CAA, sometime in Q3 or Q4 of 2016. It could be earlier but it depends on how I go.

Once that is out of the way, I've got a friend who is a photographer so I'll be hooking up with him on some paid work. I'll also be learning from him on photography and video work too. Slow and steady is the idea, building a good portfolio of work and then expanding on what I do and equipment when the time is right. :)

Darkback2

I started out with a phantom 1. I personally think the phantom series is great for aerial photography. I currently own a phantom 1 and have worked with my students to build a Naza-m based heavy lift hexacopter. There is something to be said for putting your quad somewhere and having it stay where you put it no matter what. I currently fly my phantom 1 using a video transmitter from my go pro, and our hex using a separate camera.

For you if you are using lightbridge for lining up shots, it may come at the cost of some lag, but if you stay within the limitations of the system you should be fine.

Enjoy and happy flying!

DB

StuartPB

Thanks Cyberdactyl and Darkback2 :)

The Phantom got delivered today, my first impression was how in the hell did Quanum get away with such a blatant rip off in the Quanum Nova???;) I've owned a Nova and there are very few cosmetic differences.

I'm currently charging the battery and then the tx. The tx is heavy, much heavier than I thought it would be. It's finished really well though and feels like a premium product. Everything looks great in fact, especially the camera and gimbal!

I got a freebie with the Phantom, the hard shell backback case. That is brill with a snug fit for everything in it. I wouldn't have considering buying one though at £140!!

I'm busy cooking a big pan of soup up for our dinner this afternoon and tidying up the house before the missus gets in from work, so taking the Phantom for it's maiden is off today. I just hope I can grab some time tomorrow :)

HawkMan

Whatever works for you and what you use it for. Nothing wrong with DJI as such, though for semi pro work it's not quite where I'd have gone with DJI, but I'm also a DSLR person so..

StuartPB

With the budget I had to play with, options were limited so the Phantom worked out OK for a start on equipment. Most of what I'd be doing for the first year or so is a bolt on extra for wedding packages my friend offers through his business. Once I've got enough cash in the bank, I'll be investing in better kit. I have a couple of DSLR's but to get them airborne would have smashed the budget :-(

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I would have gone with Yuneec myself due to Intel putting 10 million dollars into a collaboration with them and also since a Major Cellular Equipment manufacturer is on board for some tightly integrated flight control and electrical systems that are coming in some new and Yuneec products.

Thurmond

StuartPB

I did see the q500 and was tempted to hold off and get that, it looks great! I've had experiences of early adoption of tech and new devices proving problematic, waiting for firmware updates to iron out problems etc. If it was a bit more mature I would be all over it.

Last edited:

Darkback2

One thing...I don't know if DJI has ironed this one our or if you are aware, but you should wait a good 2 minutes after power up before your first flight. Every last one of my DJI controllers with the exception of my phantom 1 has needed 2 minutes to warm up. I have even taken to setting a timer on my cell phone and the 2 minute wait is in our pre-flight check list at school in order to make sure we wait the full 2 minutes. With my phantom 1 if I am flying out doors I wait for a full GPS lock anyway (which takes more than 2 minutes.)

It hasn't happened every time, but when I have flown without waiting the quad would be fine for a bit, and then it would just go left at about half throttle and stop taking input from anything. This lasted a few seconds if there was space and then it would come down hard.

In anycase, if you wait for a full GPS lock then everything should be fine.

Hope this helps.

DB

StuartPB

I'll remember that thank you very much :)

I had to do a firmware upgrade to 1.6 or whatever it was when I powered up to see what the DJI Go app looked like. I'm using a HTC One M8 for the display. I have an iPad 3 but it isn't compatible apparently and the cradle won't take it either. Itching to get out and put it through its paces :D

Last edited:
Thanks Cyberdactyl and Darkback2 :)
The Phantom got delivered today, my first impression was how in the hell did Quanum get away with such a blatant rip off in the Quanum Nova???;) I've owned a Nova and there are very few cosmetic differences.

I have a NOVA too, and, as a matter of fact, it uses the same motors and props as the Phantom 1 as well!

StuartPB

Sod's law, the Great British weather has put the kibosh on my maiden with the Phantom. It's not stopped raining all day here :( I charged the flight and tx battery and packed up the Phantom in the hard shell case ready to go this morning too. Talking of which, the case is brilliant! Not sure I'd have paid £149 for it at all but as a freebie it's brill!

IMAG0902.jpg case2.jpg

Last edited:

Darkback2

Yeah...Up here in the pacific north west the weather hasn't been much help either. There was a break in the rain yesterday for a few hours so I did get out and fly, but living in rainy climates sucks. I miss California, but then again if I lived there I would probably be praying for rain.

Best of luck, and hopefully you get flying soon!

DB

airhawk

Crashing Ace
dji gets hate because of how popular they are but its not their fault that its they make the most popular multi for getting in trouble its the medias fault advertising it as a learn to fly platform

abrupt

Hi guys, on the thought of upfront cost as compared to DIY and buying a Phantom, I purchased a ElectroHub kit, FT power kit, Naze32, 2 x batteries, GPS, Graupner TX and RX and I'm up to $1500 AU, I still need a gimbal, camera and a far more reliable FC, I'm going to cut my losses and stick with purchasing a Phantom, so much cheaper if you as me! Cheers

StuartPB

That's partly why I chose a Phantom. It also has Lightbridge built in, sonar and a downward looking camera for positioning if GPS is out. To get that level of functionality into a custom build and have a good flight controller, 3 axis gimble and 4k camera I couldn't do it with the budget I had. Add in the standard warranty and it was an easy choice.