Bit the bullet, gone DJI all the way.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
They make a very nice product. Building your own is enjoyable if you like tinkering or making and testing mods. The value is in the fun you have doing it but it's not for everyone.

StuartPB

I've built a quadcopter, using the APM FC and also a Naza M Lite, with a S500 frame. I really enjoyed the build process, but this Phantom is more of a practical solution so buying an off the shelf product made sense. I will be building more multi-rotors though, with the emphasis on them being fun rather than practicality. :)

Ocean

I've built a quadcopter, using the APM FC and also a Naza M Lite, with a S500 frame. I really enjoyed the build process, but this Phantom is more of a practical solution so buying an off the shelf product made sense. I will be building more multi-rotors though, with the emphasis on them being fun rather than practicality. :)

As much as I hate to say it. Off the shelf drones usually offer the best practical solutions.

StuartPB

I've ordered a few more bits and bobs for the Phantom since I bought it. I got a neck strap for the controller, a soft lens cap and a UV, ND4 and ND8 lens filter. I've also downloaded the Adobe Premiere Pro demo. I have Sony Vegas Pro but I wanted to give Premiere a try out. I'll see which I prefer before I decide on whether to buy Premiere Pro or not. Since I posted the video here of my maiden, I've been doing some reading up on setting up the camera properly and capturing video with the Phantom 3 Pro so hopefully I can get better results. The filters will help too I'm sure.

I'm off to walk up Snowdon on the 10th of January, it's the highest mountain in Wales and England so I'm taking the Phantom with me. Weather barring, I'm hoping to get some good footage along the way :)

That's partly why I chose a Phantom. It also has Lightbridge built in, sonar and a downward looking camera for positioning if GPS is out. To get that level of functionality into a custom build and have a good flight controller, 3 axis gimble and 4k camera I couldn't do it with the budget I had. Add in the standard warranty and it was an easy choice.

Plus there's the added benefit of the awesome Go App. I might get a Phantom 3 Standard while they're on sale for under $500 :)

StuartPB

I was a bit peeved when DJI dropped the price of the Phantom 3 by a couple of hundred quid, but I'm used to stuff like that from when I used to build high specced gaming PC's. The flagship components didn't stay flagship for long. My next multi rotor is going to be a pro system as I'm taking a course so I can gain my PFAW for commercial flying here in the UK, so I wasn't too bothered about the Phantom 4 coming out a couple of months after I bought the 3 Pro. Next year I'll be investing in an Inspire Pro or Raw and also a fixed wing survey plane.

I've flown about 20-25 hours I think now with the Phantom 3 and have never had a single issue yet. No heavy landings, crashes, loss of control or any other dramas. DJI haters may hate, but the Phantom is a brilliant bit of kit! :D

AndyP57

I have to agree Stuart.

My current multirotor stable consists of 15 craft from the a Flamewheel to a 550 Hex and includes the Phantom 3 Pro (The only RTF in the hangar apart from an Inductrix which sits on my desk for 'thinking time play') which currently gets most flight time! There's just something 'nice' about taking it out and knowing that 99.9% of the time there will be no issues and there will be good quality video to play with when the weather clamps down.

Now will somebody PLEASE find a way of slowing my building down ;-)

StuartPB

One thing about owning the Phantom is that I've neglected my fixed wing aircraft. My last fixed wing flight was when I drenched my Tiny Trainer in a puddle on landing ages ago. I'm trying to get as much stick time in with the Phantom before I take the practical flight test for the PFAW. I've still got two planes that need their cherries popping, the Walrus and the Mariposa. I've been looking at building a 250 sized quad for a bit of fun too but that's been put off a few times now.

One thing about owning the Phantom is that I've neglected my fixed wing aircraft. My last fixed wing flight was when I drenched my Tiny Trainer in a puddle on landing ages ago. I'm trying to get as much stick time in with the Phantom before I take the practical flight test for the PFAW. I've still got two planes that need their cherries popping, the Walrus and the Mariposa. I've been looking at building a 250 sized quad for a bit of fun too but that's been put off a few times now.

I see what you mean :)