Bloody Wonder build motor/ESC/Batt question

glowworm

Hi,

I am getting back into the hobby, and am switching from nitro to electric. So basically a n00b when it comes to the motor sizing etc. I am building the bloody wonder, and I purchased the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w from Hobby king, and an 8x4 prop. link below.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...Series_28_26A_1200kv_286w_USA_Warehouse_.html

My worry is that I may have TOO much motor for this little plane. Can I get some help? Do i need to buy a different motor?
Oh and I have a Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC, and i got the Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C battery as well.

Based on all of these things will they work well, and perform well? help

Thanks
G

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I think that power setup is a good one. Not too much for that plane. You will find that it has a wide flight envelope. Pick where you like to operate and go from there. If you are afraid that it might be too much, make sure you launch with a good nose up attitude and you will have plenty of time to react and get it sorted. Keep in mind that it was designed for stick banging, so if you over react, so will the BW.

The 1300mah 3S is a great battery for that plane and could even fit inside the fuse, if you are so inclined.

Keep us posted.

glowworm

Teajr66,

Thanks for the comments. Yes I was happy that the battery does fit inside the fuse. I noticed what I am guessing is an Air Intake on the swap-able pod, I am supposed to use that to keep the ESC cool? or will it matter that much? So far I am happy with the build. I bought the speed-build kit, and some dollar tree foam, I am using the kit as a pattern, and building the plane from scratch from the foam board. So far it has worked out quite well. I opted to use the kit parts for the swap-able pod however, as I also bought the Versa wing kit, and have a spare power pod in that kit too, which i will use for patterning for future kits. I think I will make the pusher setup on the versa wing, but for now I just want to get the bloody wonder off the ground. As an aside, I remember when SIG Mfg. was big in the RC arena, and i bought most of my RC gear from them. Now they have only a limited presence in the RC world, and for that I am a little sad. No matter I will keep all updated on the build. I am currently waiting on connectors for the ESC, as Hobby king did not provide me with any, and I didnt know the ESC didn't come with connectors. So hopefully by this weekend I will have the parts to put her all together.

By the way, I am using colored packing tape to cover the plane, it's the thin stuff so shouldnt add too much weight to the plane, what other coloring/covering methods are there for the Dollar Tree Foam board planes?
Thanks again
G

drezed

I've used colored markers on the paper, then covered with clear packing tape(cheaper than colored tape, and available everywhere). It was a bit of a pain with the smaller tipped markers, but does work. A note about the paper though, it will start to lift over time, especially if moisture gets to it. I'm looking forward to Peters input on waterproofing foamboard(though these days I tend to build with as little paper as possible). Here's a pic of an "ExperimentalAirlines" inspired plane I built a while ago done with markers.
PBR small.jpg

Jeff

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
GlowWorm,

I wouldn't go insane and line it with lead, but the Bloody Wonder will take quite a bit of extra weight. I've regularly flown with a motor slightly heavier, with a 3s2200 inside the pod and yeah, heavy, but it flew fine. The extra weight will require more air speed and the glide sinks faster, but it flies with more authority and penetrates through wind with ease.

As long as you use a motor with enough oomph to keep her moving, adding the weight of some tape will not be an issue.

As for cooling . . . you'll get a *little* airflow through with a 3S1000 or a slim 3s1300, but the 3s2200's are usually either too tall (in standard) to allow airflow or too wide (in slim) to fit in the fuse. If you're worried about it, three things you can do:

- mount the ESC outside -- you can mount it into the side of the pod, flush, if you cut a window in the nose, or mount into the belly of the pod, flush with the edge. if you do this be sure to leave the heatsink on the outside (flat side of the ESC)

- Get a bigger ESC -- oversized ESCs will generate less waste heat as they power the motor. the tradeoff is higer cost and weight.

- limit your flying -- Take it easy on the throttle, saving the top end of the stick for wehn you want a little extra punch, and don't fly the pack to the end. *Not* the ideal solution, but you can get away with abusing less-than-ideal setups by being conservative with your power use.

In mine I've regulalry used a slightly bigger ESC, tossed in the pod wit no concern for it's safety, and while it gets pretty warm in there, my mechanical failures have come from the glory of combat, not excessive heat ;)

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
GW,

I usually just use tape when I decorate. I have experimented with Krylon Fusion. It works well. You just have to apply if in very light coats. If you saturate the paper, you just defeated the purpose.

The part of your fuselage that glue to the bottom of the wing has a cooling duct in it. Use it or don't. Your choice. My ESC's seem to not care one way or the other. Although I do have it open.

My first radio was from World. I lived in Cincinnati and my father got a job withWworld just after we got into the hobby. And all my engines were O.S. Max motors. Futaba radios were "that foreign junk for people that drove foreign cars". There was another that was fairly new and the club pilots viewed it as "kids toy junk". Good times.

Take pics and vids.

Grauwulf

I'm running my BW on a hextronic 24g 1300kv motor, 1300mah battery and 25A Skywalker Clone esc on a 8x6 prop. That moves it along at a decent speed and will still handle the wind quite well, but not enough power for vertical take off. For me, I do need the duct on top open for cooling or my ESC goes in to thermal shutdown.

Here's a video of my re-maiden after some repairs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sydp3bsLwjs&list=UUKYNNZKwxlfJx-tbM1wHUcA

I also flew it yesterday in some pretty high winds (I'd guess 10-12mph+) an it handled it quite well. I wasn't making a lot of headway on my upwind legs around the field, but it was like hitting warp speed on the downwind. Still editing the video from that, it was the first flight with my new GoPro camera on board.

glowworm

Well the Servo's, and pushrods have been installed, tail feathers glued on.

I have to mount the Motor, on the Firewall, and the guts inside the power pod. Need to get some loc-tite for the motor mount, and Prop spinner, and add the color to the plane.

And I am waiting on the connectors for the ESC to connect up the Battery and Motor to come in, should have them tomorrow. Just in time to possibly maiden flight this weekend.
Keep your fingers crossed....

glowworm

OK I finished with the color, and electronics mounting. Based on test balancing, with the battery about as far back as it will go, it balances out nicely.

Here is first pic...
10517621_10202585429136401_8327354776068076606_o.jpg

Grauwulf

Just a warning, the CG marks on the plan are *way* too far aft, I made that mistake on my maiden and crashed horrendously. You want your CG to be around 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" back from the leading edge of the wing. Mine balances out at 2-3/8" from the leading edge with a 1300mah battery almost as far forward as I can get it and still have room for my ESC. I would start there and then move it back after a flight or two until you find your plane's happy spot.

A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once.

Edit: Your plane looks fantastic, btw! I didn't paint the one I'm currently flying, I figured I was likely going to end up destroying it in short order, but I've got 9 flights and 3 major crashes on it so far and still going strong!

Last edited:

glowworm

I have the balance point about 2 1/2" from the leading edge. I have what I think is a pretty big motor up front, so my 1300mah Lipo is near the back, just barely in front of the tail fuselage assembly., Any further back and the pod wont fit properly as the battery gets in the way of the tail part of the fuselage.

Grauwulf

Sounds like you're good to go! I made the mistake of using the 24g motor on mine, which has clearly caused me some grief. And now that I have some flight time on it, I want more power and speed. Although I think with the setup I have on it right now, it makes a pretty good basic aerobatic trainer.

Good luck on your maiden! Get some video if you can, sounds like it should go better than mine did!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTGktfq_Yg

glowworm

OK, I got the Bloody wonder all together, Motor, servos, connectors pushrods and balanced. I manually got the control surface manually set to neutral, so hopefully there wont be much trimming once its airborne. Motor and servers all turning in the correct direction, and Motor speed tested. It wont take off straight up, but only just barely, so it should have enough oomph to get it moving thru the air nicely.

I got two batteries charging up now, and hopefully a maiden flight in the morning.

earthsciteach

Congrats, man! I maidened my BW tonight, as well. My cg is just behind the spar and I dialed 70% expo in on the elevator. It is still VERY elevator sensitive (which is fun!) but very flyable. Rolls are fast and crisp! Love this thing!

Grauwulf

I wouldn't think it would be squirrely, mine really isn't. It will turn on a dime, but for the most part it's like it's on rails. Glad you had a successful maiden flight!

glowworm

it could be my cheapo radio, but even the tiniest movement of the Aileron stick and it turns super fast. I was very difficult to control comfortably. I will be getting a better radio later so i can dial in some expo...

Until then I was thinking about chopping down the aileron some and making them thinner instead of the 2" wide that they are now. I already have the pushrod set for the least amount of throw right now.