BLunt Nose VersaWing and 600mW Tx and airflow - *suggestions appreciated*

DirectGumby

Hello all,

I've been building out a Blunt Nose VersaWing this week and I have picked up this transmitter, the
Lumenier TX5G6R Mini 600mW 5.8GHz FPV Transmitter with Raceband.

My issue is this - the dang thing gets super HOT...
Currently it is tucked inside of the wing

Here is a shot of the hatch from the aft that currently holds the TX
FT07 Hatches after dry fit closeup for video hatc.jpg

Here is a wider, view with the hatch shown with a red box around it.
FT08 Front view with camera and GPS not yet located and red box for TX location.jpg

Suggestions on:
1) Will it be OK? and/or
2) How should I cool it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
A NACA (right?) duct in front and a vent behind would do good, but only if there is a path for the air. If you can find a small aluminium heatsink to put in place over the VTX that would make any airflow that much more effective. Alternatively, you could entirely expose the heatsink to the surface, which would be a best case scenario.

DirectGumby

A NACA (right?) duct in front and a vent behind would do good, but only if there is a path for the air. If you can find a small aluminium heatsink to put in place over the VTX that would make any airflow that much more effective. Alternatively, you could entirely expose the heatsink to the surface, which would be a best case scenario.

Thank you.
I'll look into a heat sync for it.

There should be good path for the air to flow over the Tx unit so i'll look into how to make a duct.

Thanks,
Brett

DirectGumby

I dug around and found this... so maybe between that and mounting the fin for direct airflow may be a good way to go here.

This cooling fin I had on an older VTx.
(Hopefully it will stay attached).
FT09 Cooling Fin side shot.jpg

Maybe I'll cut a hole or a pocket for the VTx to sit in.
FT10 Cooling fin top.jpg

Thanks,
Brett

DirectGumby

Here is what I ended up doing:

1) I added the little fin (not sure if that will help or not, open to feedback here.)
2) I adjusted the height of the VTx by making a little table out of hot glue and some scrap
3) Cut in a new hole and well.. here is the result:

A view looking into the win pocket
FT11 new cooling fin and table support for VTx.jpg

With the new hole in the hatch (not the best looking but I think it is a good start)
FT12 Cooling fin through the new hole in the wing.jpg

Thanks,
Brett

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
In one of your pics, it looks like the finned heat sink is just sitting ontop of heatshrink that probably holds down the small heatsink that comes with the VTX. If that's the case, I think you'll find dubious thermal conductivity. Ideally, you would either replace or directly attach this heat sink to the VTX with some thermal paste after removing the old heat sink, cleaning it with acetone or pure isopropyl alcohol.

Otherwise, this might actually impede cooling by blocking off airflow even more.

DirectGumby

In one of your pics, it looks like the finned heat sink is just sitting ontop of heatshrink that probably holds down the small heatsink that comes with the VTX. If that's the case, I think you'll find dubious thermal conductivity. Ideally, you would either replace or directly attach this heat sink to the VTX with some thermal paste after removing the old heat sink, cleaning it with acetone or pure isopropyl alcohol.

Otherwise, this might actually impede cooling by blocking off airflow even more.

Ah yes, very good point... Thank you!
What I will do is pull the current fin off, see how cooling does with the built in one and go from there.
Basically I should be able to pull they fin off and have the built in one exposed.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Brett