Blunt Nose VersaWing and the Vector Flight Controller - **feedback wanted**

DirectGumby

Hello all,

I've been flying multi-rotors only a shot bit, tried a little FPV but recently have really wanted to do some VersWing building and flying... as part of that I also wanted to try the Vector flight controller... so, here is where my question(s) come in:

1) I cannot get the Vector flight controller sweet spot over the CG... will this be a large issue?
2) Has anyone used this type of config before?
3) Does anyone have any rough gain settings for this type of setup for the Vector controller?
4) Is it possible to rotate the Vector controller 90 degrees (I didn't see it in the manual, but thought i'd check)

Here is the setup:
1) VersaWing blunt nose
2) Vector Flight controller (with GPS/Mag v2)
3) GetFPV 5.8 Ghz 600mw Tx
4) Immersion RC EzUHF 8 ch diversity receiver (yes, I have a HAM license)
5) a Mobius (because that is what I have currently)
6) looking at two zippy 2S 2700 mah in series tucked into the wings in front

In the attached photos you can see overall layout plan:
wing with rough layout.jpg

Where the controller should end up:
FT01 Where it should end up.jpg

Where the controller will end up (when internal)
FT02 Where it will end up inside.jpg

Where the controller will be (sitting on top for reference)
FT03 A rough view of where it will be inside sittng on top.jpg

Ideal, if I could turn it 90 degrees - true for wiring, and CG.
FT04 Ideal location 90 degrees.jpg

Any/all feedback is greatly welcomed here.

Thanks,
Brett

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I have a similar setup using APM, but a quick search seems to indicate that EagleTree hasn't implemented configurable board orientation YET...

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?43918-Vector-change-board-orientation

Here's my setup; although, I don't seem to have good pics showing the flight controller. At least with the APM, I don't have to put it on the CoG for good effect. It's fine being a big behind it:

https://goo.gl/photos/m3xth6bsMPGs5buG6
https://goo.gl/photos/HxN4MroA2kFqhpe7A

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Nope no need to find cg. All it needs to know what is level. And it does that when you power it up to keep it somewhat level when you power it on. If you need help PM me and I'll gladly help you out as I have that installed in my Sweepwings juggernaut.

DirectGumby

The build continues... updated if folks want to see

I have continued on with the build and cutting/fitting in everything... always interesting the first time around so I have a few extra pockets in the pane now...
FT05 Hatches after dry fit (2).jpg

I have almost everything in place --- I need to find a good place for the GPS and finish out soldering up the new ESC so it has the correct plug, along with completing the elvon to servo attachment.
FT06 Front view with camera and GPS not yet located (2).jpg

I am worried about the opening for the Mobius camera.
Should I do something to help make sure no air is being pulled in above the camera?

Thanks,
Brett

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I am worried about the opening for the Mobius camera.
Should I do something to help make sure no air is being pulled in above the camera?

Thanks,
Brett

Looks like it's coming along! Look forward to seeing it in flight when you post video!

Why worry about the opening? If anything, with the electronics you'll have, you'll probably want a little cooling introduced into the internal space... so, maybe even consider adding an exhaust for the tail to give good airflow through the center area? I have a small gap in mine behind the motor that essentially does that.

DirectGumby

... you'll probably want a little cooling introduced into the internal space... so, maybe even consider adding an exhaust for the tail to give good airflow through the center area? ...

Sounds good... that should be simple enough as I was planning on opening up a small hole to more easily bring the ESC cables through to the engine. That should help.. plus, in talking on another thread, I am worried about the video Tx unit heating up and they had also suggested a small bit of airflow to help it out...

I have to admit i'm nervous for the first flight as I can fly a quad but not so good with panes. :)
So we will see how it all goes, no matter what, there will be some video to look at!

Thanks,
Brett

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you look at my pics posted above of my version of the Versa wing, you'll see I have my VTX mounted externally for cooling purposes... it works well for me.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Here is how my Juggernaut is set up. Should give you a few ideas for setting things up.
13310450_10208580708409315_6622395711449129218_n.jpg 13335266_10208464120974702_499920414_n.jpg 13336303_10208464120814698_1903615646_n.jpg 13342479_10208464120734696_901925281_n.jpg 13349188_10208464120774697_1201237140_n.jpg 13417423_10208580709009330_2132360401793542933_n.jpg IMG_6441.JPG

The OSD and the brain are just velcroed in there so I can adjust for different battery sizes.

DirectGumby

Hey CrashRecovery ,

Thank you for the photos... really great to understand it better.. plus, I like how you hung it on the wall..

Attached are two thing I'm thinking about doing (and it looks like you basically confirm this via your photos):

1) add this fin from my older VTx device
FT09 Cooling Fin side shot.jpg

2) Mount it up higher, cutting a hole in the wing to support it. Most likely making a small foam cutout area for it to sit into.
FT10 Cooling fin top.jpg

One question:
Do you have some clear wing tape or something over the top of the items exposed?

Thank you for all of the help and feedback thus far.
Brett

CrashRecovery

Mentor
StoneBlueAirlines built that for me. It looks like Matt just used packing tape or really thin laminate, but I'm leaning towards tape.

DirectGumby

If you look at my pics posted above of my version of the Versa wing, you'll see I have my VTX mounted externally for cooling purposes... it works well for me.

Yes, I may end up doing that if things still seem to hot after a few tests.
In fact it may be the safer way to go for heat for the hardware all up.

Thanks,
Brett

DirectGumby

GPS Mag location

Hello,

Ok, I've been working on where to place everything for the v1 final fit...
I have a few things left to go for sure but I wanted to get folks feedback on the potential placement of the mag/gps unit.

FT13 GPS mag placemnt.jpg

Currently i'm thinking about just putting it next to the flight controller...
Potential downsides:
1) it close to the servo cables
2) it is close to the receiver just under the foam (down and to the left in this image).

It does have a long enough cable that I can put it elsewhere but it looks like it would fit in that location cleanly.

Any thoughts on if that is good or bad?

Thanks,
Brett

CrashRecovery

Mentor
You want it to get a clean signal all around. I think having it like that might hamper or interfere with it.

DirectGumby

Geetting closer

I've been working away today... still need to get to soldering and complete control horn servo hookup - I suspect that will tomorrow. <grin>

Here is what I think "close to final" internals will be - pending finding another spot for the GPS/Mag system.

I've decided to put the batteries in the front sections of the wing left and right to have two 2S 2700 mah batteries for flight time. In looking at this I i'm trying a partial "friction fit" for the batteries where I basically built what I'm call the "shoe horn" to help the battery say in place.

I've designed it to fit along side the battery and wedge up against the spar both in the wing and in the blunt nose section
FT14 The shoe horn.jpg

It slides in like so...
FT15 Inserting the shoe horn.jpg

And the final fit... notice there is a hook section that also catches the front corner of the battery.
Not shown here is that there is also Velcro under the corner of the battery as well.
FT16 Shoe horn fully fit.jpg
It seems to stay super snug so the only movement i'm worried about is to slide back into the main bay, but it should be pinned in by the front of the blunt nose section now.

With both batteries installed (minus the connector i'm making tomorrow) things all fit reasonably clean)
FT17 The front compartment.jpg

Looking at the ESC setup I have two ways i'm looking at it:
1 - external so it stays cool.
FT18 Option 1 ESC on top.jpg
(sorry not sure why it is rotated)

2- internal but worried about heat, although I could bring air through the section rather cleanly.
FT19 Option 2 - ESC internal.jpg
(sorry not sure why it is rotated)

What it may look close to with all the work done...
FT20 With ESC internal (2).jpg

Getting closer and having a good time!

Thanks,
Brett

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Brett,

Any flight experience with your setup yet?

If you need any inspiration for getting this setup, I spent this past weekend with a friend on a getaway. He was the one who inspired me to get into the hobby, and we flew together for the first time resulting in this:

Last edited: