Brand New to Nitro!

Cherokee996

Hi Everyone! I just got my first nitro engine yesterday! It's a K&B.40 Series 75 8011. It's got some good compression and the seller said that it had been tested before shipping. I got some 20% nitro on my way home from work yesterday and tried starting it but to no avail. I hooked up a 1.5V D battery to the glow plug, nitro in a small container to the fuel inlet, throttle open 25% and spun it over a few times. It didn't start or sputter. After that, I pulled the glow plug out, connected the battery and examined it. The plug seemed to heat up and it emitted some smoke but the filament didn't actually glow. I also didn't really prime it before starting.

Is there anything else I should keep in mind for starting it? Should the glow plug be glowing bright orange?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like you flooded it mate. That throttle at 25% thing is wrong. Easiest way to prime if you don't have some sort of electric start is to leave it at idle after filling the tank. Put your finger over the carburetor and spin the motor WITH OUT power to the glow plug. Watch the fuel tube from the tank to the carb and see when the fuel reaches the carb. Flip the motor two or three times more then it should fire up normally within a few spins with power applied to the glow plug.

Glow plugs should glow bright no matter what and should quickly burn off too much fuel when you have them in open air and powered. Check to make sure you have enough battery to make it glow. If you had primed it the way I mentioned and you know fuel is to the carb but it still won't start bump your throttle trim up a tick and try again if you can't get it to sputter or run after one or two bumps then you may have a mix issue.

Read up on that particular motor and I am sure some where will be written what the base settings are for fuel and air needle valves. set those to that and try starting again using same procedure. If it is a brand new and never run motor keep in mind they can be a royal pain to fire up the first time specially in colder damp weather. Humidity is a huge factor for those type engines. I actually had to put a gear driven electric starter on my OFNA racing motor before I could get it broke in as the pull starter simply was not strong enough for such a tight new motor.

Bricks

Master member
Could be your fuel set up you say you have a container you put fuel in. These engines do not have fuel pumps you want the middle if your fuel tank matching up with the middle of your carburetor. To really run properly you want to pressurize the fuel tank from the muffler there should be a nipple on the muffler that the line runs from to the fuel tank. Glow-Engine-and-Tank-Installation.gif

Bricks

Master member
Just wanted to add be careful running that 20% nitro you might want to check the manufactures web site some engines will not take that much nitro..

Cherokee996

Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I think the reason as to why I was unable to get it to start was because of the glow plug. Even with the correct voltage it does not light or get hot at all (I stuck my finger in to feel if it emitting any heat whatsoever). Anyways, I found the K&B web page for adjusting the carburetors but I haven't had a chance to play with my carb yet. I ordered a new glow plug so we'll just have to wait until it arrives.

Bricks

Master member
Sticking your finger???? in where? The only way is pull the glow plug out attach your battery and look for the glow plug to light up.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Keep at least 5 glow plugs with you. They can be quickly swapped out if you flood the motor as well as they are easily blown if you run them hard with out adjusting the mix to suit the temp and humidity of the day.

Cherokee996

Hi Everyone. So I realized that the issue was with the battery I was using. Apparently it is very hard to get any sort of glow from a standard battery so I ordered a rechargeable glow ignitor. My plugs now glow a bright orange when it is attached. However, the engine still has not started. I primed the engine as mentioned above and tried to turn it over but it would not start. I also tried adjusting the carburetor, but I may have it set wrong. I have the large wheel with the +/- set to the center notch on the crankcase and the needle adjustment knob turned 3 full turns out from all the way in. Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Cherokee996

So I took a look at the forum post you linked me to and I am absolutely sure that I have a Perry Carburetor. However, the K&B site doesn't seem to have any info on how to tune those; it lists only how to tune the earlier square style carbs. Also, how would I clean the nitro mixture valve on the engine? Does the piece of paper need to be placed between the carb body and the large wheel? I'm going to turn the needle screw out a few more turns and see if I can at least get it to sputter.

Cherokee996

Update: I was sort of able to get it to start. I readjusted the carburetor and twirled the prop a few times but it still didn't work. Looked like the nitro was leaking from the carb/crankcase joint so I pulled the carb out to replace the old O - ring. All the nitro from before had basically flooded the entire crankcase, so pulled the engine from its stand and got most of it out. I then put the ignitor on and ran the prop over. It briefly started and ran for a few seconds until all the nitro burned off. I'll reattach the carb and try again tomorrow.