Solved Brushless motor is shaking, and I don’t know why

voyhager3

I have an emax gt2215/09 and the other day it just started to shake like it has an error code. Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve looked around the forums and it is not the screws btw
It’s goes like fast shaking then slow then fast. I think it is different than having a bad connection, because I unplugged a lead and it was different

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I have an emax gt2215/09 and the other day it just started to shake like it has an error code. Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve looked around the forums and it is not the screws btw
It’s goes like fast shaking then slow then fast. I think it is different than having a bad connection, because I unplugged a lead and it was different
What esc are you using?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
usually that is a timing issue assuming you haven't grounded out the motor. i would try and reprogram the esc. i use an Emax programing card on my FT esc.

good luck,

me :cool:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have flown Emax motors for ages they are bullet proof and to be honest never has that issue on one. I did rub through one of the wires against the case once and lost power.
Anyway, although I haven't had that fault on an Emax I did get it on a Volantex motor. It was a connection fault on one of the leads, it gave a juddering effect. Don't know if its the same fault but worth checking all your leads and bullet connections for loose connections. Alternatively it could be a damaged winding ? I did have that on an MT1806 once.

voyhager3

I have flown Emax motors for ages they are bullet proof and to be honest never has that issue on one. I did rub through one of the wires against the case once and lost power.
Anyway, although I haven't had that fault on an Emax I did get it on a Volantex motor. It was a connection fault on one of the leads, it gave a juddering effect. Don't know if its the same fault but worth checking all your leads and bullet connections for loose connections. Alternatively it could be a damaged winding ? I did have that on an MT1806 once.
Maybe I ran this thing real hard for a while didn’t even think about it damaging itself. It could have overheated and damaged something. I’ll probably see if I could take it down to the hobby shop down in enfield next weekend. I got a similar problem on my rc truck. I really don’t wanna buy another one of these. Love them and they got potential to go. Oh and I just remembered that it sounded like a small gasser. It could have been the prop but idk

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have got a few Emax GT2215/09 1180kv motors they are great well engineered and normally as reliable as a Japanese car ( I refuse to buy the over priced FT radial motors).
The only way you can do serious damage is:
1 Not having your leads secure and away from moving parts.
2 Wrong size mounting screws that damage your windings.
3 Wrong size prop for the motor, check your specs don't over size (10" max I think).
4 Wrong size battery (they only take a 3s max, although I've heard of people using 4s :eek:).
5 wrong size motor for the plane (max model weight for that motor is 1100gms).
There are probably loads more but I am tired and can't think straight at the moment. I'm on the last of my 6 - 12hr night shifts and its catching up with me.
Good luck

voyhager3

I have got a few Emax GT2215/09 1180kv motors they are great well engineered and normally as reliable as a Japanese car ( I refuse to buy the over priced FT radial motors).
The only way you can do serious damage is:
1 Not having your leads secure and away from moving parts.
2 Wrong size mounting screws that damage your windings.
3 Wrong size prop for the motor, check your specs don't over size (10" max I think).
4 Wrong size battery (they only take a 3s max, although I've heard of people using 4s :eek:).
5 wrong size motor for the plane (max model weight for that motor is 1100gms).
There are probably loads more but I am tired and can't think straight at the moment. I'm on the last of my 6 - 12hr night shifts and its catching up with me.
Good luck
If you gotta take a break take a break! But I am using this on my explorer, and they did in the release vids. 9x6 I think maybe 9x5, and it’s the stock screws and this motor has gone strong since the beginning of the pandemic, so idk. one of the leads did get disconnected because the bullets got pulled out (totally not my fault... :/), and I think I got lucky for a while and some people have said that they still can sometimes takeoff while only firing on 2 leads. So that might have damaged it. it is said that they discontinued the gt 09 cuz I remember they got the old versa up to 101 with it. I think FT has a few in stock. and might buy one or two but idk. I'm also tired even tho it's only 8:30, but we got the stupid state standardized tests and a couple of big tests/essays this past/ this week. So ya... thanks for the advice and hopefully there will be more tomorrow. Tanks!!!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If you gotta take a break take a break! But I am using this on my explorer, and they did in the release vids. 9x6 I think maybe 9x5, and it’s the stock screws and this motor has gone strong since the beginning of the pandemic, so idk. one of the leads did get disconnected because the bullets got pulled out (totally not my fault... :/), and I think I got lucky for a while and some people have said that they still can sometimes takeoff while only firing on 2 leads. So that might have damaged it. it is said that they discontinued the gt 09 cuz I remember they got the old versa up to 101 with it. I think FT has a few in stock. and might buy one or two but idk. I'm also tired even tho it's only 8:30, but we got the stupid state standardized tests and a couple of big tests/essays this past/ this week. So ya... thanks for the advice and hopefully there will be more tomorrow. Tanks!!!
Banggood and Aliexpress still stock them motors (y)
1620693556772.png
Banggood
US$26.76 (US$30.59-13%)
Price alert
Inclusive of VAT (buy 2 and get another 6% off) Shipping $2.61

Aliexpress is selling them for $15.30 but you have postage and tax to add to that.
So there are plenty available, shop around (y)

voyhager3

Banggood and Aliexpress still stock them motors (y)
View attachment 199998
Banggood
US$26.76 (US$30.59-13%)
Price alert
Inclusive of VAT (buy 2 and get another 6% off) Shipping $2.61

Aliexpress is selling them for $15.30 but you have postage and tax to add to that.
So there are plenty available, shop around (y)
good to know, is the old emax MT2204 2300kv the old F pack motor? I know where to get one I am just curious?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
good to know, is the old emax MT2204 2300kv the old F pack motor? I know where to get one I am just curious?
Yes, I use them on my 4ch Tiny trainers. A couple of words of advice: use a min 20 amps on the esc and use xt30 connectors not JST (they will melt).
Also make sure you get the correct rotation as there are CW and CCW threads on the shafts (the end nut colour lets you know which is which).

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I've had the bullet connectors go bad on a few of my edfs and had to replace them, if you look at my mig 25 build thread (link) you'll see that I modified the faulty ones with a little solder but, this may not be the way your connector is failing. I've also had to resolder connectors because the factory solder didn't take(probably because they were in a hurry and didn't use enough heat and got a cold joint). So from the sound of it this probably your problem and thankfully its an easy and cheap one to fix!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
it is said that they discontinued the gt 09
They didn't discontinue it, they just came out with their radial motors which are in all their power packs and what they use in their videos. The radials are fantastic motors, worth the extra $$ in my opinion. They put out noticeably more power than the 2215 motor and are higher quality. FT still stocks the 2215 motors though:
https://store.flitetest.com/emax-gt2215-09-1180kv-brushless-motor-emx-mt-0409/p694266
It's the 2205 2300kv that they used in the F pack.

voyhager3

I've had the bullet connectors go bad on a few of my edfs and had to replace them, if you look at my mig 25 build thread (link) you'll see that I modified the faulty ones with a little solder but, this may not be the way your connector is failing. I've also had to resolder connectors because the factory solder didn't take(probably because they were in a hurry and didn't use enough heat and got a cold joint). So from the sound of it this probably your problem and thankfully its an easy and cheap one to fix!
That’s probably it. I was looking at the bullets and a few of them had some other gunk on them, and the one I re did the 3rd hand I use had tape on the holders and that melted into the connector. So I’ll probably take it to the shop to have someone do it better. But I’ll still probably buy another one just in case and if I ever do get around to that twin I want all that power to thanks!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
As for your motor problem I had a similar issue, came about when I bent the wires coming out of it too much and one of the wires snapped, when only two wires go to the motor it will only jitter and won’t spin. I fixed the issue by locating the break and resoldering the wire together.

voyhager3

As for your motor problem I had a similar issue, came about when I bent the wires coming out of it too much and one of the wires snapped, when only two wires go to the motor it will only jitter and won’t spin. I fixed the issue by locating the break and resoldering the wire together.
That’s what I think is wrong and I will probably have someone add new connectors cuz I can’t really solder that well