Help! Best beginner friendly Flight controller

I am just getting into this hobby but if I’m honest ive been doing research on this hobby for well over a decade (I was about 8 then I say my first rc plane. I’m 20 now)

Sooooo…I’ve ordered the Ft Guinea pig speed build bundle, I also have ordered flysky FS ST8 that comes with the sr8 receiver with the ant protocol.
(I’m not exactly sure if Tx & Rx protocols matter when choosing a flight controller)
That being said I already have a post about me starting out on the Guinea pig

The main reason I’m making this post is because i don’t necessarily have the ability to pay club fees so I can’t exactly ask someone for some lessons.
So I’m leaning towards flight controllers.

The ft aura 5 lite
IMG_6262.jpeg

is a option however it’s a bit pricey($60) for me and I don’t necessarily have a computer that will download the software to change any of the settings (also why I can’t necessarily use a flight simulator) i do like the 6 axis

On the other hand
The hobby eagle a3pro v2
IMG_6263.jpeg

This option is a bit cheaper ($38)
And it’s a little more simple.(won’t have to use POS PC) Another 6 axis gyro, but there’s a few more wires to deal with so it may get confusing there.

In conclusion what im asking from this community. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ on a gyro system that I’m not going to be able to use the full capability of, or should I just go with the cheaper option and get a basic 6 axis gyro. Keep in mind I’ve never even touched a simulator so I’m basically going in this off the deep end. I understand I’m going to crash… a lot. I would like to minimize that inevitable by using a Flight controller. Honestly im leaning towards the hobby eagle a3pro v2. Mainly for its simplicity.
If im still being honest dont know of ether of them will bind to my receiver

P.S. if any one knows of some cheaper alternatives please let me know

kdobson83

Do you have any flying XP? Or is this full size Guinea gonna be your first?

If this is your first plane, I recommend maybe starting with something a little simpler and easier to build and repair like the FT Flyer or the FT Tiny Trainer, or even the FT Tutor. All 3 of which fly very well, easy to build, and will help train your fingers before you go full out with the Guinea. I personally recommend going with the FT flyer first. You can build it in about 30-60 minutes. and repairs are stupid easy. Then maybe move up to the FT tiny trainer. The Tiny Trainer has the ability to grow with you. You can start off light and slow with the 3 channel wing, then upgrade to the 4 channel wing to push your abilities. Both the FT Flyer and FT Tiny Trainer have free plans and can be downloaded from this forum. Once you have mastered the Tiny Trainer 4 channel, move on up to the Guinea. Going this path will also help with your building skills reducing builder error when building your Guinea, increasing your chances for success.

I only suggest this path as reading your post it doesn't seem that you have much if any help. From my experience with this hobby, and heck, with life in general, when starting something new, remember the acronym, KISS. Keep it simple stupid. lol I vaguely remember FT using this acronym in one of their videos years ago. But it still remains true. Get success with the more simple planes, and your more likely to grow and enjoy the hobby. Going right into a twin motor with a flight controller adds a lot of complexity to your maiden. If you are indeed a new Pilot like I assume you are from your post, start simple, and then graduate to the more complex. I personally was in the same boat as you, I started in the hobby with no one to help and no funding really. I started off scratch building the FT Flyer and flew its wings off. Then moved up to the tiny trainer and flew its wings off too. I started my son off with a Tutor with an FT Aura Lite and he did ok, but he really flourished when I built him an FT Flyer. It was so easy to build and easy to repair we didn't care if he wrecked it. He instantly took to it, and started pushing his abilities. We went to FF this past summer and he flew it in every single combat. He even won a free kit with it by being one of the last ones in the air and flew full speed into the ground when Stephen told them too. A little hot glue, some popsicle sticks and 15 minutes later he was flying it again.

Anyway, if you do insist on starting with the Guinea, and have your mind stuck on adding the flight controller, the FT Aura Lite is a good one. I have 3 or 4 of them in mine and my sons planes. They work decent right out of the box, but my flying tastes require tuning which obviously requires a PC of some sort. My issue with the Aura is that it doesn't give enough throw to the control surfaces right out of the box which requires a PC to adjust. The Aura also requires specific types of RX's, but it appears your SR8 is compatible. Take your time with it, make sure all of your trims are at 0 or it wont go into 6 axis mode, if your plane require trimming, trim it in 3 axis, then do the trim reset process that they go over in the videos, where you save your trims to the Aura, then move your TX trims back to 0. This has messed me up a few times.

That Hobby Eagle controller looks decent too. It will work with any regular RX as you plug the servos into the controller then the extra wires plug into your RX. I personally have no experience with it though so I cant give my opinion on it.

Anyway, sorry for writing a book here. I hope what ever path you choose works out for you. Good luck.

I am actually just starting off in this hobby, so I haven’t really radio controlled anything other then a few toy cars or helicopters. I have been able to have a few full size flights lessons when I was a a little younger.
I feel the main reason I got the Guinea was for the size and it wasn’t necessarily till after I placed the order that I realized the twin engine would be a challenge. Which I’m always up for. I may have bit off a little more than I can chew, however I’m hoping doing a little researching on flight controllers/gyros , and if I understand everything correctly I can hopefully safely fly the pig
Do you have any flying XP? Or is this full size Guinea gonna be your first?

If this is your first plane, I recommend maybe starting with something a little simpler and easier to build and repair like the FT Flyer or the FT Tiny Trainer, or even the FT Tutor. All 3 of which fly very well, easy to build, and will help train your fingers before you go full out with the Guinea. I personally recommend going with the FT flyer first. You can build it in about 30-60 minutes. and repairs are stupid easy. Then maybe move up to the FT tiny trainer. The Tiny Trainer has the ability to grow with you. You can start off light and slow with the 3 channel wing, then upgrade to the 4 channel wing to push your abilities. Both the FT Flyer and FT Tiny Trainer have free plans and can be downloaded from this forum. Once you have mastered the Tiny Trainer 4 channel, move on up to the Guinea. Going this path will also help with your building skills reducing builder error when building your Guinea, increasing your chances for success.

I only suggest this path as reading your post it doesn't seem that you have much if any help. From my experience with this hobby, and heck, with life in general, when starting something new, remember the acronym, KISS. Keep it simple stupid. lol I vaguely remember FT using this acronym in one of their videos years ago. But it still remains true. Get success with the more simple planes, and your more likely to grow and enjoy the hobby. Going right into a twin motor with a flight controller adds a lot of complexity to your maiden. If you are indeed a new Pilot like I assume you are from your post, start simple, and then graduate to the more complex. I personally was in the same boat as you, I started in the hobby with no one to help and no funding really. I started off scratch building the FT Flyer and flew its wings off. Then moved up to the tiny trainer and flew its wings off too. I started my son off with a Tutor with an FT Aura Lite and he did ok, but he really flourished when I built him an FT Flyer. It was so easy to build and easy to repair we didn't care if he wrecked it. He instantly took to it, and started pushing his abilities. We went to FF this past summer and he flew it in every single combat. He even won a free kit with it by being one of the last ones in the air and flew full speed into the ground when Stephen told them too. A little hot glue, some popsicle sticks and 15 minutes later he was flying it again.

Anyway, if you do insist on starting with the Guinea, and have your mind stuck on adding the flight controller, the FT Aura Lite is a good one. I have 3 or 4 of them in mine and my sons planes. They work decent right out of the box, but my flying tastes require tuning which obviously requires a PC of some sort. My issue with the Aura is that it doesn't give enough throw to the control surfaces right out of the box which requires a PC to adjust. The Aura also requires specific types of RX's, but it appears your SR8 is compatible. Take your time with it, make sure all of your trims are at 0 or it wont go into 6 axis mode, if your plane require trimming, trim it in 3 axis, then do the trim reset process that they go over in the videos, where you save your trims to the Aura, then move your TX trims back to 0. This has messed me up a few times.

That Hobby Eagle controller looks decent too. It will work with any regular RX as you plug the servos into the controller then the extra wires plug into your RX. I personally have no experience with it though so I cant give my opinion on it.

Anyway, sorry for writing a book here. I hope what ever path you choose works out for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

Foamforce

I agree with the above, but in regards to the A3 Pro, it’s solid. I have a couple. You’re looking at the V2, but you can get the V1 for cheaper. The V2 has something called throttle pass through which can simplify setup a little, but I can help you through it. PS, I’m either case, connect the receiver to the gyro using sbus or ibus. Don’t use the individual wires for each channel, that’s a mess.

I can’t compare the A3 to the Aura because I’ve never had one. I’m sure it’s better but I don’t know how.

PS, if you happen to live near southern Wisconsin, I would be happy to give you some intro flying lessons. It makes an enormous difference. I started a little over a year ago totally on my own. It took about ten trips to the airfield before I returned home with an unbroken plane for the first time. 😬

I agree with the above, but in regards to the A3 Pro, it’s solid. I have a couple. You’re looking at the V2, but you can get the V1 for cheaper. The V2 has something called throttle pass through which can simplify setup a little, but I can help you through it. PS, I’m either case, connect the receiver to the gyro using sbus or ibus. Don’t use the individual wires for each channel, that’s a mess.

I can’t compare the A3 to the Aura because I’ve never had one. I’m sure it’s better but I don’t know how.

PS, if you happen to live near southern Wisconsin, I would be happy to give you some intro flying lessons. It makes an enormous difference. I started a little over a year ago totally on my own. It took about ten trips to the airfield before I returned home with an unbroken plane for the first time. 😬
I’m not sure exactly what s.bus/ I.bus,ect.
However to my understanding it’s basically another program that trains you
but I still don’t fully understand the concept or how to properly set it up

Unfortunately I live in central Texas at the time of posting however I do plan on moving to Montana soon

Foamforce

I’m not sure exactly what s.bus/ I.bus,ect.
However to my understanding it’s basically another program that trains you
but I still don’t fully understand the concept or how to properly set it up

Unfortunately I live in central Texas at the time of posting however I do plan on moving to Montana soon

There are several different protocols that receivers and flight controllers speak to communicate with each other and with other devices. The most basic is PWM. That uses one wire per channel. For that you would need to run one wire from your receiver to your flight controller for your elevator, ailerons, rudder, flight mode, and optionally gain. Instead of that, you can use Sbus which combines the signals going from your receiver to fight controller into a single wire.

There are several different protocols that receivers and flight controllers speak to communicate with each other and with other devices. The most basic is PWM. That uses one wire per channel. For that you would need to run one wire from your receiver to your flight controller for your elevator, ailerons, rudder, flight mode, and optionally gain. Instead of that, you can use Sbus which combines the signals going from your receiver to fight controller into a single wire.
I did notice that the channel labeled 1 on the receiver had ppm/1

Foamforce

Your receiver supports sbus so don’t use PPM. It’s older and when you use it it disables the rest of the PWM outputs on your receiver. At least it does in the older version of your receiver.

Foamforce

So how exactly would I connect the Rx to the gyro via S.bus?
I haven’t used your newer version, but in the older one there was a menu in the transmitter to set the receiver to sbus output. Then you connect a wire from the sbus output on your receiver to the gyro. You may also have to set the gyro to use sbus input. I don’t know the specific details without looking up the manual for each, but I can see in the specs that both the receiver and gyro support sbus.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...On the other hand
The hobby eagle a3pro v2...
Hobby Eagle gyro's are great, they will work with ANY receiver that has servo output (PWM). Some of the more advances models can also use a serial protocol but I believe all of them will use PWM. They come in a variety of price ranges and features. Just pick the one with the features you want.

The aroura is also a fine gyro. However is uses a serial protocol, not sure which one. Not all Rx's will have the protocol needed.

Regarding ALL gyro's. if a channel need's reversing DON'T reverse it in the Tx, ALWAYS reverse it on the gyro. If you reverse it in the Tx, the controls will work but the gyro will still be reversed. Instead of making the plane fly right, the gyro will crash your plane. The same rule applies to flight controllers.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I should add, when installing a gyro, make sure your aileron, elevator & rudder are not reversed, they need to be in the normal position.

I should add, when installing a gyro, make sure your aileron, elevator & rudder are not reversed, they need to be in the normal position.
I’ve been told you use S.bus instead of the plunging each wire in to the gyro . I’m fairly certain my transmitter has that feature, but I’m not sure exactly how to set it up. Do I just have to have the Rx set up normally with a free port leading to the gyro? I haven’t been able to figure it out

Shurik-1960

I have 2 pieces of these and 2 pieces of the first generation, which I flashed with a new version. I like that they can simply be connected to any model aircraft and even at the age of 6 a novice pilot will easily fly. For a long period of use, there was not a single accident. Last year, I bought another brand with an autowall, worked for 7 months and the firmware flew off, which I can't find anywhere.... I connect a bunch of wires to the receiver and don't bother.Everything works fine . I use S-bus only for micro receivers and for receivers-transmitters at 915 MHz.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been told you use S.bus instead of the plunging each wire in to the gyro . I’m fairly certain my transmitter has that feature, but I’m not sure exactly how to set it up. Do I just have to have the Rx set up normally with a free port leading to the gyro? I haven’t been able to figure it out
Sbus is one of the serial protocols, there are also 2-3 other protocols. None of the separate protocols are compatible with any of the others. In other words, if you are using Sbus, both the Rx & gyro must speak Sbus. You will also need to use the serial ports in both.

I recommend you do what is easy for you. For me, it easier to use PWM. On my setup it only takes 6 wires, a positive & negative, and a signal wire for each channel, aileron, elevator, rudder & mode changes. I've got older equipment, only a few of my Rx's have any serial abilities. Someone else will need to guide you on Sbus.

Last edited:
Sbus is one of the serial protocols, there are also 2-3 other protocols. None of the separate protocols are compatible with any of the others. In other words, if you are using Sbus, both the Rx & gyro must speak Sbus. You will also need to use the serial ports in both.

I recommend you do what is easy for you. For me, it easier to use PWM. On my setup it only takes 6 wires, a positive & negative, and a signal wire for each channel, aileron, elevator, rudder & mode changes. I've got older equipment, only a few of my Rx's have any serial abilities. Someone else will need to guide you on Sbus.
So basically I should just set it up as a standard Rx instead of an s.bus Rx?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So basically I should just set it up as a standard Rx instead of an s.bus Rx?
You should do what works best for you. If you can use Sbus then use it. If you can't get Sbus to work, then try PWM. It has always worked for me. I have not taken the time to figure out serial protocols.