Help! budget HD configuration for RC airplane

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hello all, i am looking for help. Just trying to get into HD FPV for RC planes (not drones) and also trying to save as much as posible. I am not looking nothing fancy as 4k, just the not the 600x400 from the analogic system, something to really enjoy the views. I have been doing some research but as far as i can understad a Flight Controller is not mandatory but advisable, can i go without FC? in that case how should i power the VTX-camera unit?

I have seen this combos: Fat Shark Recon HD FPV Goggles + Walksnail Avatar HD or DJI Digital HD FPV v1 + RunCam Wasp Micro Digital FPV Camera Kit with 720p120fps Nano FPV Camera & Digital Vista FPV Transmitter

any advices? any setup suggestion?
Also the Fat Shark Recon HD uses two patch antennas so i am worried about range. help please!!!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... can i go without FC? in that case how should i power the VTX-camera unit?...
Yes, I have flown FPV without a FC. Flight controllers are much cheaper now than a few years ago, I am looking into upgrading to an iNav system. In my part of the world, it's an ocean of corn. I found I need an arrow point the way home. I have become lost in the air, not knowing which way was home. I have also found I need flight stabilization in windy weather. There was too much latency between when the gust of wind hit my plane and my correction. A simple flight stabilizer fixed the problem. My video system ran on 12v, so I just powered it form the balance lead on my flight battery.

These video provided a cheap solution for me, an arrow pointing the way home without a flight controller.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
When it comes to digital FPV there is no such thing as cheap at least to me. When camera and flight transmitter in the $150 plus and goggles $450 plus. I have analog now and will eventually switch over maybe?????????? If a right deal comes my way.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am looking at a Caddx Walksnail HD VRX bundle. I can use it with my existing goggles via a HDMI cable and they run $300-ish depending on options. I would most likely mount the VRX on a tripod much like my current Analog Setup.

LB

1693946579816.png

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Yes, I have flown FPV without a FC. Flight controllers are much cheaper now than a few years ago, I am looking into upgrading to an iNav system. In my part of the world, it's an ocean of corn. I found I need an arrow point the way home. I have become lost in the air, not knowing which way was home. I have also found I need flight stabilization in windy weather. There was too much latency between when the gust of wind hit my plane and my correction. A simple flight stabilizer fixed the problem. My video system ran on 12v, so I just powered it form the balance lead on my flight battery.

These video provided a cheap solution for me, an arrow pointing the way home without a flight controller.

i will take a look at this later, thank you

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have heard of openhdfpv.org

I think it an open source HD fpv video system. They take security cameras and hack them for HD fpv, just like in old days of analog.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have heard of openhdfpv.org

I think it an open source HD fpv video system. They take security cameras and hack them for HD fpv, just like in old days of analog.
I have looked at this a few times. The demo footage is not very impressive. The lag and breakups would not be to my liking.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... The demo footage is not very impressive. The lag and breakups would not be to my liking.
I agree for a quad or proximity flying the latency is way too much. But for someone who wants to fly 200 feet high & just look at the countryside. Im not sure the latency will matter much. As far as image quality, it looks better than analog. I suspect the image quality and latency will improve over time.