Build, learn, repeat...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was actually considering the speedster, but given the name thought maybe I should choose something slower! I built at 80% to keep the size down a bit, as I’m running out of room to store these things. I’m sure once the decent weather arrives my fleet will diminish quickly!
The Speedster is actually one of the slowest planes FT offers, regardless of the name

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I was actually considering the speedster, but given the name thought maybe I should choose something slower! I built at 80% to keep the size down a bit, as I’m running out of room to store these things. I’m sure once the decent weather arrives my fleet will diminish quickly!
I actually built it because I liked the way it looked, then when I crashed my simple soarer upon it's maiden launch, I decided to give this one a go. 2s on a B pack was way underpowered but it flew! That goes to show how nice and slow it flies!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's AUW is lighter than even the fogey, so I'd go as far as saying it's the slowest FT plane, and the best beginner foam board plane there is. @Jeffo here's a video of my flying it:
Slowest plane yes, best beginner trainer... It doesn't have ailerons, which can be easily added for AET, but it is good one for sure

Jeffo

Since I have it sitting around, would a 1000kv with a 10” prop work in the sea otter? I’d have to slice into the fuse a bit for prop clearance, which I’m not concerned about.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Since I have it sitting around, would a 1000kv with a 10” prop work in the sea otter? I’d have to slice into the fuse a bit for prop clearance, which I’m not concerned about.
A 9 inch prop would work just fine.

Jeffo

I only have 10” 2-blade, 6” 2-blade, and 5” 3-blade props on hand. Thought maybe I could take it out and “drive” it in the snow for fun.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I only have 10” 2-blade, 6” 2-blade, and 5” 3-blade props on hand. Thought maybe I could take it out and “drive” it in the snow for fun.
I sometimes trim my props. I’ts actually pretty easy. Just trim off 1/2 inch from both sides and then balance the prop. Use a piece of landing gear wire, and if one size of the prop always goes down, use sandpaper or your knife to trim a little away. Do that again until you have a 9 inch prop! Changes are you won’t have to do it again, since in a pusher configuration, you’re probably going to have to rebuild the plane before you replace the prop.

Jeffo

I sometimes trim my props. I’ts actually pretty easy. Just trim off 1/2 inch from both sides and then balance the prop. Use a piece of landing gear wire, and if one size of the prop always goes down, use sandpaper or your knife to trim a little away. Do that again until you have a 9 inch prop! Changes are you won’t have to do it again, since in a pusher configuration, you’re probably going to have to rebuild the plane before you replace the prop.
Haha I feel flat out stupid for not realizing such a simple solution! I fully expect all my current builds to meet a catastrophic demise 🙂

Jeffo

Spent a couple hours finishing up the otter. Even ordered a 3000mah battery yesterday specifically for it. Get it finished. All wired up. Aaaaaand my elevator servo is dead. To replace it would require much slicing and dicing. I’m too frustrated for that endeavour, so time to salvage parts and revisit my now nemesis otter another time. So the lesson for future builds: consider the fact components can break, so make sure they can be accessed/replaced with minimal destruction!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Spent a couple hours finishing up the otter. Even ordered a 3000mah battery yesterday specifically for it. Get it finished. All wired up. Aaaaaand my elevator servo is dead. To replace it would require much slicing and dicing. I’m too frustrated for that endeavour, so time to salvage parts and revisit my now nemesis otter another time. So the lesson for future builds: consider the fact components can break, so make sure they can be accessed/replaced with minimal destruction!
It is fitting given the title of this thread lol

K3V0

Elite member
I’ve had good luck slowly applying rubbing alcohol. The glue will give up its hold and then you can replace the servo. Give it a shot when you’re ready to get back to the otter.

Jeffo

I’ve had good luck slowly applying rubbing alcohol. The glue will give up its hold and then you can replace the servo. Give it a shot when you’re ready to get back to the otter.
It’s not getting the servo out (one curse word and a yank got that out)😜 The problem is routing the servo lead through the vertical stab, then up to the front. I’d have to remove the tail completely. The more I think about, i may build a whole new one. I used black foamboard, which seems ill suited for plane building. The foam is crumbly, and the paper tears easily. Seems winter is far from over, so I’ve got the time!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It’s not getting the servo out (one curse word and a yank got that out)😜 The problem is routing the servo lead through the vertical stab, then up to the front. I’d have to remove the tail completely. The more I think about, i may build a whole new one. I used black foamboard, which seems ill suited for plane building. The foam is crumbly, and the paper tears easily. Seems winter is far from over, so I’ve got the time!
Was it the black paper/black foam or the black paper/white foam stuff?

K3V0

Elite member
Ok, yeah. I see the issue and I’ve definitely been there too. I keep a sheet of the black paper stuff around to make wheels out of.

Jeffo

Bought some lawn flags to use as pushrods, only to find they’re too thick to use with linkage stoppers (which I love). Are not all flags created equal, or is there some type of solution?