Building an Unique STOL EDF plane

L Edge

Master member
Goal: Build a EDF STOL that doesn't exist and is simple to build so anyone can fly.

Reviewing material, most builder's add flaps, leading edge devices, end plates, gyro, FC, etc. to their plane.

Thinking outside the box, why not have a power plant that rotates allowing the thrust components( horizontal for forward and vertical for up and down) to be variable for STOL and left level for forward flight? Now put this on the CG axis of the plane and it will work. Next, construct a fighter plane that doesn't have landing gear( I did a F22) and that is very light, add rotating EDF and you have a great STOL.
A side note:
Found that some of the trapped airflow on takeoff under the plane increased the under surface pressure and lifted the plane partially vertical much like an air cushion vehicle.

Result:
Here is a lightly built F-22 that has the 64mm 5 bladed EDF rotated about 40 degrees up and when powered up, it rises slightly(air trapped under) and combined with the up thrust, gets into the air in less than 2 lengths of the plane. Just to show you repeatability, second launch I used about 30% angle and got a slightly longer run in the grass. Landings, how about that angle of attack?, has to be in the range of 35 to 45 degrees high alpha with no rocking, on final approach. EDF is protected sitting above so no damages with high AOA.

Interested in building one? I will show you what I did for setup, explain how I fly it and really anyone who wants to try it, can take a fighter and make it STOL.
Love to have someone with a 50 mm try it on a reduced size fighter.

Here is a view of setup.
STOL.JPG

Last edited:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Goal: Build a EDF STOL that doesn't exist and is simple to build so anyone can fly.

Reviewing material, most builder's add flaps, leading edge devices, end plates, etc. to their plane.

Thinking outside the box, why not have a power plant that rotates allowing the thrust components( horizontal for forward and vertical for up and down) to be variable for STOL and left level for forward flight? Now put this on the CG axis of the plane and it will work. Next, construct a fighter plane that doesn't have landing gear( I did a F22) and that is very light, add rotating EDF and you have a great STOL.
A side note:
Found that some of the trapped airflow on takeoff under the plane increased the under surface pressure and lifted the plane partially vertical much like an air cushion vehicle.

Result:
Here is a lightly built F-22 that has the 64mm 5 bladed EDF rotated about 40 degrees up and when powered up, it rises slightly(air trapped under) and combined with the up thrust, gets into the air in less than 2 lengths of the plane. Just to show you repeatability, second launch I used about 30% angle and got a slightly longer run in the grass. Landings, how about that angle of attack?, has to be in the range of 35 to 45 degrees high alpha with no rocking, on final approach. EDF is protected sitting above so no damages with high AOA.

Interested in building one? I will show you what I did for setup, explain how I fly it and really anyone who wants to try it, can take a fighter and make it STOL.
Love to have someone with a 50 mm try it on a reduced size fighter.

Here is a view of setup.
View attachment 203617
That is the simplest thrust vectoring system I have ever seen. Pretty awesome(y)

L Edge

Master member
STol servo position.JPG

To build the system, you need a servo to rotate the EDF fan and an matching old servo that has died on you. That is to pivot the fan with equal forces. Do not use just one servo, for it will most likely bind.
Now use 2 servo arms and locate it under the supports of the EDF. After alignment, hot glue the servo arms so the end of the arm is at the end of the EDF flange. Now drill a hole the diameter of the servo screw into the EDF housing so that retaining screw when inserted inside holds the fan flange to the servo for movement.

To build the other pivot that free floats, requires taking the non working servo apart (cover off and cutting it retaining the top portion)

Stol side.JPG

so it is the same height as the moving servo. When the servo screw is installed from the inside of the fan housing, the servo gear will be retained to the cut servo housing. By the way, EDF fan can be used for other projects by just using scotch tape to either inside or outside. Use this one for part of my SR-71 project.
Knowing your CG position of the plane ,align the rotating axis of the EDF and cut out the foam so it is allowed to rotate up and down. Again, servo screw should be over CG line. Hook up servo to receiver in the rudder connection and turn on power. EDF fan should be level when rudder is neutral. Change spline and/or subtrim setting so it is level. Then hot glue EDF and dead servo component is right on CG axis.

Set up ATV servo limits so movement are 40 degrees up and 60 degrees down. I set up so left rudder was up and right rudder is down. Down is set so when plane is at high angles of attack and you have wind, you can control it.
Any questions?
Set up position of battery so it is balanced right at CG of plane. It is important that the plane balances lengthwise as well, since you have a heavy servo only on one side. I used a coin taped on the opposite wing.

I will explain the new way you will need to fly STOL.

Last edited: