Building my first FPV quad

HPIFreak

yea, first post. sorry, im a long time watcher of the show but a forums newbie here. anyway, i am in the USAF and i am stationed in Okinawa japan and i am about to leave to a new station. im staying over seas for the next 3 years or so, and i really want to get a quad copter to film FPV at the amazing scenic places i get to visit. i have been in the RC car hobby for around 15 years or so, so i know how all the electronics and what not work. but i am completely new to multi rotors and somewhat new to airplanes. i went out and bought a Traxxas Alias with the intention to FPV it. after i got it i realized it cannot carry my gopro so its not going to happen. i bought the small 808 keychain camera and it carries that thing around perfectly, however i quickly realized the handicap of aerial filming when you cannot see through the camera as you are flying it. it is also very susceptible to the wind, even in gentle breezes.

so that brings me to my next project. i want something thats large enough to carry FPV equipment, large battery for decent run time and big enough to handle moderate winds (so i dont have to worry about cancelling scenic trip just because i wont be able to film it from the air). i looked at the phantom DJI 2 with the gopro gimbal, but i worry about its size. its pretty small so i am not sure how stable it is with a bit of a breeze, and im not sure about its run times. so i think im just going to build my own.

from what i understand, all i need is a chassis, 4 motors/props, 4 speed controllers, a flight control board and then ill be good to go (ive already got a 6 channel tx/rx, batteries etc...) minus the FPV stuff. but what im wanting to know is, what Kv motors do i need to lift a good size quad with lots of electronics, what size/type chassis is good for FPV (one that can accommodate a gimbal), what amp speed control for the motors and what size/volt battery to run it with enough power and life?

sorry for all the questions but i get frustrated when i dig around the internet and cant find the info i am looking for, and i just wish i knew someone in person that i could ask. but there is no one around here with this kind of experience. and i dont have the money to buy a motor just to find out i need more Kv for my setup, or that the ESC doesnt have enough amperage.

i found this and was quite interested, but i dont think i can mount a gymbal to it?
http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/ready-to-fly-rtf-builds/ready-to-fly-qav400-rtf.html

and sorry for the long post :(

Last edited: