Building the F117 and looking for some mods

Burnhard

Added the V-tail today. Also added the leds in the exhaust.

Will start painting the exhaust parts and inside parts of top fuselage and side plates tomorrow.

I am considering adding a 5mm balsa piece on the leading edge of the V-tail and on the intake. Did that on the Viggen and it adds quite some strength and also looks good. Will look at a few pics of the original tomorrow and make up my mind.

16353959-FB58-4E71-A67D-003CDDFD3C8A.jpeg

B640D642-3E40-42C4-BF21-4DCDD6F60A47.jpeg

Burnhard

Finalised the fuselage today. Everything fits quite nicely. Had a few crinkles for which I used Wonderfill. Also applied Foam Armour on all open foam surfaces as my spray paint has a tendency to melt the foam. Electronics are all hooked up. Installed an FT Aura as a flight assistant.

Next stop is sanding the filler and cutting free the elevons.
CAB18E74-80EB-4E85-8479-81F7F7876BE5.jpeg

57981818-5B89-4FF2-83C6-3B6155A7B4EB.jpeg

0BEF9B28-4115-4111-B350-70B480E00D7D.jpeg

Burnhard

Looking good. The LEDs in the thrust tube are a nice touch and the aura should be interesting.
Only occurred to me now but are the inlets supposed to sit under the triangles from the canopy? I glued the inlets to the lower end of these triangles.

Started painting today. The black spray paint I am using is pretty aggressive with the foam. However no issues where I applied the foam armour. For the hinges I went for the hot glue version on bith the upper and the lower side. Also added a bit of balsa to the Vtail. Did not add Balsa for the inlets but am considering adding some sort of a mesh at the inlets.

1CB65881-B81B-4794-9B93-4660D89AD00D.jpeg

2A5E11B1-3D9C-408D-A8E8-0FA86F9AA099.jpeg

A01C2EE2-C6BD-45CD-B227-2CABFC9789A0.jpeg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Another question, how much throw should the elevons have?
The elevon should move about 5 cm total from full up to full down before any mixing. I limited the weight of elevator control to 75% and ailerons to 50%. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this but I wanted plenty of pitch authority but I wanted to maintain a bit of roll authority at max pitch too just to be safe. I hope that makes sense.

Burnhard

Spent the past few days on the paintjob. For the top I went for the usual black. However, for the bottom I would like to do a stars and stripes theme.

Started with painting the bottom blue in the front and red in the rear 2/3. For the white stripes I decided to try something new. Did these from white glossy vinyl. Thought this might be cleaner than trying to paint those. I had good experience with painting stripes using Tamiya tape but given that its six white stripes, I hoped that the vinyl version is easier.

Cutting the vinyl went prettiy quick. Applying the vinyl was also no issue. However I am not totally happy with the sections on the hinges. I cut the vinyl open for the hinges but the adhesion is not exactly super great. For now I left it as is.

The tricky part will be the stars. I am considering the following. We do have a small star stance but cutting 50 stars and applying these exactly right sounds like another nightmare. Second option would be using a mask. I do have one but of course it does not exactly fit. Last and most fancy solution would be to use waterslide decals. I have lately been experimenting with these and used it to print my own declas. I could buy white laser toner and print the stars on a transparent waterslide. Certainly the most expensive solution. Suggestions are welcome ;-)

Shortly before I was done for today, a small mishap happened. I was adding another layer of black on the top when the model fell of the box I had placed it on and slightly bruised the nose. Nothing major but still a bit unnecessary.
25933B7A-E383-4B42-B784-E1C7E2913D7A.jpeg

757C24A6-CDCA-431A-B32D-898C1C98C71E.jpeg

89B7B673-BA87-4A7C-883C-6474C16F768C.jpeg

Burnhard

Looks great! Good luck on the maiden.
I had the F117 in the basement for the past two years as I did not dare to do the maiden. Did the maiden today and everything went perfectly well. I have an Aura installed which made the launch ultra easy. The aircraft has a super presence in the air and the sound from edf is just awesome. Flew her with a 4s 3300 and after 2 mins still had 66% left. Landing was ultra smooth with the aircraft sliding through the grass on our field. Should have done the maiden much earlier.

L Edge

Master member
I had the F117 in the basement for the past two years as I did not dare to do the maiden. Did the maiden today and everything went perfectly well. I have an Aura installed which made the launch ultra easy. The aircraft has a super presence in the air and the sound from edf is just awesome. Flew her with a 4s 3300 and after 2 mins still had 66% left. Landing was ultra smooth with the aircraft sliding through the grass on our field. Should have done the maiden much earlier.

Are you going to post a video of it?

skymaster

Elite member
Added the V-tail today. Also added the leds in the exhaust.

Will start painting the exhaust parts and inside parts of top fuselage and side plates tomorrow.

I am considering adding a 5mm balsa piece on the leading edge of the V-tail and on the intake. Did that on the Viggen and it adds quite some strength and also looks good. Will look at a few pics of the original tomorrow and make up my mind.

View attachment 204596
View attachment 204597
So where are you putting the battery?

Burnhard

i have 2 very stupid ideas
first airsoft cannon on the nose
second missile bay with missiles
I believe the original does not have any machineguns on it. I guess the other issue is weight. If you add an automatic airsoft mechanism to the nose, that will most likely end up in CG issues. Probably a better idea for an A10.

The missile bay I idea could probably work. There is a bit of space between the formers for the edf. Where these could fit. Just one thing to think about, since it is a belly lander, better be safe that any bottom doors properly close.