Building the Storch!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
109 flights, 12.5 hours of flight time and still going strong (I keep a spreadsheet for flight logging on my 40 and larger size planes). It's almost hard to believe how well this plane flys, it will almost automatically flat spin. It's pretty beat up, but it is also my last Flight Test plane that I scratch built from Dollar Tree as I only build balsa or fly RTF foamies now a days. I should put a video together on how it flys these days...or how I fly... The Turnigy Areodrive motor is bomb proof! The airframe is getting pretty beat up though...

IMG_2430[4525].jpg IMG_2432[4527].jpg IMG_2433[4528].jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
109 flights, 12.5 hours of flight time and still going strong (I keep a spreadsheet for flight logging on my 40 and larger size planes). It's almost hard to believe how well this plane flys, it will almost automatically flat spin. It's pretty beat up, but it is also my last Flight Test plane that I scratch built from Dollar Tree as I only build balsa or fly RTF foamies now a days. I should put a video together on how it flys these days...or how I fly... The Turnigy Areodrive motor is bomb proof! The airframe is getting pretty beat up though...

View attachment 179594 View attachment 179595 View attachment 179596

Nah, she's gorgeous! Congratulations on such a long lived, good flying foamboard plane!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It’s all customized and reinforced so not stock, my stock build fell apart long time ago, but I learned from that one. Flight Test should redesign this plane with my mods as this design is amazing.

Rhaps

Elite member

Wear and tear just gives the plane more character
1600889907359.png 1600889873773.png

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
She's still got it going on.

I broke a prop. That's it. I've definitely got to tweak some things, but it's still like watching a big, cruising bird in flight.

jswilson64

Just downloaded and printed the plans to scratch build the Storch!

I can't find a spec for bending the landing gear. Is there a "bend it till it looks like this" drawing?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just downloaded and printed the plans to scratch build the Storch!

I can't find a spec for bending the landing gear. Is there a "bend it till it looks like this" drawing?
I don't see a template, but I believe Josh explains how to do it in the build video.

Hoomi

Master member

Mine had her tenth flight today. She has a long ways to go to catch up!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After scratch building two of these with dollar tree foamboard, I think it would actually be easier to just buy the kit for $30...and probably costs about the same because of the cost to print the plans...

Hoomi

Master member
After scratch building two of these with dollar tree foamboard, I think it would actually be easier to just buy the kit for $30...and probably costs about the same because of the cost to print the plans...
I tend to buy the speed build kits anyway, since it helps support the Flite Test folks. I mean, seriously, I've paid for movie tickets, to see a film that wasn't half as entertaining and enjoyable as the Flite Test channel on YouTube.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
They did have some great videos in the early days. Too bad they didn't keep going on and go into balsa kits.

Kwaziithepirate

Hi,

Can someone please advise what lengths the LG wires are for Storch. Josh measures the bend locations but no reference to wire overall lengths.

thanks
Kwaz

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Its in the build video he shows how long and how to make it. I cant remember the gauge, but I used piano wire or hardened wire that comes in two foot sections. I have a really complete build thread with mods, just search my user name. It’s an amazingly good plane.

Kwaziithepirate

Thanks nhk. SP0NZ advised the lengths on the facebook forum, they are 15.5 inches long. I'll check out your mods. Looking to do a Luftwaffe desert camo scheme.

Airbike1

I thought I'd try my hand at building and flying the Storch. I found some 5mm foamboard at Hobby Lobby that measured 50" x 40" for $9.99 ($6.00 with a 40% off coupon) I then downoladed the full size plans onto a thumb drive and took it to Office Max to have a set of plans printed out full size. They couldn't accommodate my request. Their printer wouldn't print that large of a format (50" wide?) Arghhh...
I came home and downloaded the tiled plans and taped them all together last night, then I cut the plans up into individual parts.
I noticed there seems to be about 3 1/2 degrees of positive incidence in the wing. Does that seem about right?
I also intend to use FliteTest's early "B" power pack for this build. (not their current "B" pack with the radial motor.)
IMG_0343.JPG

Hoomi

Master member
I'm not sure how I managed to miss sharing the maiden video back in March, but here it is. I am now up to 12 flights on her, and she remains one of the easiest to land planes I've ever flown.