Building the Storch!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Alright! I got to take her out today with the changes to the elevator. I moved the control rod to the third hole out in the servo arm. It made a marked difference, as you can see in the video.

She's still not right, though. Remember when I did an A fold instead of a B fold when making the wing? I think the extra cord thickness is increasing both the lift and the drag.

I still have another inch or more that I can move the battery forward. I'm going to try that next time out, before I think about adding nose weight. I would have done it this evening, but I was running of time and I had a Mig 3 to maiden!

This is the only plane that I've successfully landed twice, without just belly-sliding along in the grass. I've almost got her dialed in. Then it's landing practice for the win!
That was a way smoother flight then the last one, moving the control rod sure helped, you were right. you made it look like a soaring eagle on the hunt for mice lol. Nice landing too. Great job

bracesport

Legendary member
ye ha - nice takeoff and landing - it just jumps off the ground!

Alright! I got to take her out today with the changes to the elevator. I moved the control rod to the third hole out in the servo arm. It made a marked difference, as you can see in the video.

She's still not right, though. Remember when I did an A fold instead of a B fold when making the wing? I think the extra cord thickness is increasing both the lift and the drag.

I still have another inch or more that I can move the battery forward. I'm going to try that next time out, before I think about adding nose weight. I would have done it this evening, but I was running of time and I had a Mig 3 to maiden!

This is the only plane that I've successfully landed twice, without just belly-sliding along in the grass. I've almost got her dialed in. Then it's landing practice for the win!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
ye ha - nice takeoff and landing - it just jumps off the ground!
If you've been following the thread, I screwed up the wing way back at the beginning. I did an A fold instead of a B fold on the inner wing supports. I rolled with it an compensated. End result is a wing with even more lift than the design intended. That's a lot!

It's become something of a challenge to tame the beast. I'm almost there, though. I wouldn't change the wing now, even if I could. You're right in that it just leaps off the ground. It floats back down almost as well. It's been a sketchy journey with her, but Daddy Long Legs will soon be coming into her own. Next flight is just a bit forward on the batt, and I think I've got it.

The Storch is so much different to fly than the planes that I'm accustomed to. @BATTLEAXE nailed it when he called it an eagle in the air. It just soars around, and I've really no desire to roll and loop and get crazy. She just is what she is. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So does that mean no “fly as hard as you can” with the Storch?!:cry: I’m really looking forward to the 150% msbp though!
I'm finding the plane both a challenge and joy to fly. It's so stately and slow, and drops like a rock anytime I try anything. It's not the plane, so much as my personal flying style that makes it "fly hard" just to keep it in the air! I intend for some low passes on my next flight. As big as that bird is, that should be good video for your challenge!

The 150% MSBP is coming along. It'll be a bit big to stick-mash, but I'm really excited to see what it can do! :D

Samir

Just seen recently where you were also building the Storch. Awesome! First one that got me into FT planes. Super floaty and easy to fly. Build process wasn't bad...it was just big!

What @nhk750 just shared is golden in terms of wing reinforcement. The trailing edge of the wing over top of the fuse definitely needs reinforcements. If not, the pressure of the rubber bands will bend it. I ran 2 dowels into the wing (like in the pictures), and then glued an extra sheet of foam over top of it.

The landing gear is one of those love it or hate it type of thing. By all means try it first to see what you think. A majority (myself included) usually end up changing the landing gear. This is what I have done to mine recently:

View attachment 140851

View attachment 140853

This is a video I did in 2017 flying the Storch. I am kinda thinking I didn't follow the throw gauge and just dialed in some general settings for throws...so it may be a tad more extreme than the recommended settings (I honestly don't remember). It rolled pretty nicely IMO.

Just ran standard 4 channel setup at the time. I've been digging it back out and doing some other mods to it. One was the landing gear, the next one is adding flaps. It's a good flying plane!

Where did u get the landing gear? Am gonna build a storch... Want mine to be removable for easy transportation by bike

basslord1124

Master member
@Samir ...I ended up going with Flyzone Sensi replacement landing gear. Here is the link to the Sensei on Horizon's page:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...s-trainer-ep-rtf-with-wise-gyro-58-p-flza3130

Everywhere I've been looking has shown the landing gear part to be unavailable or out of stock. You could check ebay and see if any are still floating around. I did come across this too which may work as well:

https://usa.banggood.com/2mm-Alumin...-p-1151154.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

You could also look at the Eflite Apprentice parts and accessories. It's basically the same type of plane as the Sensei. It looks more like wire landing gear BUT with some mods, you could make it work too.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, the landing gear is a failure point. I just stick the wires back in now everytime I fly and my Storch is still going strong. Almost unbelievable how well it flys after the years of punishment I have put it through, but it is my go to big bird park flyer when I want to relax and bash the sticks around. The wing mod is a must and I have no issues at all after performing the wing mod, even after multiple crashes and I pull high g aerobatics with this bird still.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh, the Big Bird flies again!

Repair is minor. She's a beast!
Great vid and even better flight. Makes me wonder though... why do you like to build slow planes and fly them like they are a mustang. Hey check this out, build a Mustang and fly it like a Mustang. Go fast needs a go fast bird. It would be more stable to fly a slow bird slow, less pitching issues. Or in your case you could build a fast bird so you can get your demons out, and still have a stable flight.

Do a Racer or a wing, or the FT 22, build another Goblin.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Great vid and even better flight. Makes me wonder though... why do you like to build slow planes and fly them like they are a mustang. Hey check this out, build a Mustang and fly it like a Mustang. Go fast needs a go fast bird. It would be more stable to fly a slow bird slow, less pitching issues. Or in your case you could build a fast bird so you can get your demons out, and still have a stable flight.

Do a Racer or a wing, or the FT 22, build another Goblin.
I've got a Mustang and a Spit. The Spit is actually my favorite plane to fly. Dude, I haven't flown but four times or so since last November. I'm getting there. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've got a Mustang and a Spit. The Spit is actually my favorite plane to fly. Dude, I haven't flown but four times or so since last November. I'm getting there. :)
My hats off to you man, you are goin through some stuff and the flying takes a back seat. Just sayin I have seen a few of your last vids and the slow fly planes are more difficult to control at higher speeds. I know you are an adrenaline junkie like myself, you wouldn't get into a VW Golf to try to out run a Corvette. You want to fly a Corvette, build a Corvette.

I know you have probably seen me post about these wings i have been playing with, give them a shot. Easy to build in one sheet and a bit, wide speed range and handle like they are on rails, like a crotch rocket... you know what i am talking about buddy, just trying to help

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have a Storch I built in Jan of 2017 with so many flights on it I cant count, but it fly's fast, slow, hovers, flat spins amazing, and is probably one of the easiest planes I own to fly. I cant believe it still fly's as good as it does, although it is heavily modified and also many repairs, but my go to plane if I have any doubts about wind or small areas to fly...it just keeps going and going and going...