Built (and flew) my Slow Stick!

A year ago I purchased a damaged Slow V airplane. I rebuilt the busted tail with Dollar Tree Foam Board and even got to fly it once at an event where an experienced flyer launched it and then handed me the radio for a few minutes. The next time, I on my own, I crashed it so I purchased a new Slow Stick wing and tail which I thought would go on my V airframe. Only later did I discover that a) the fiberglass stick was shattered and b) that it was a smaller size than the Slow Stick stick. So I purchased a Slow Stick stick and the plastic attachment pieces and some heavy standard servos to build it up.

I used an Ares 370 motor and 18 amp esc purchased for another project, a 4 channel receiver from another failed project and an 11x4.7 prop and stirred everything well until it looked like an airplane. Last night I took it out for a maiden flight and everything worked! The controls were had much greater throws than I needed, (since dialed back) and it was faster than I expected but I hand launched it twice and got it back on the grass with no damage both times.

I'm pretty tickled to have a new airplane in my squadron for very little in cost.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
That's excellent! The slow stick is a great Airplane, you made an excellent choice of keeping it going! They can be really twitchy, in fact they'll even roll if your rudder throw is high enough.

One thing, you should probably prop down to a 9X4.7 prop, an 11x4.7 will burn out that 370 motor in short order unless you are running on a 2 cell lipo, an even then its probably drawing to much current.

Thanks FA. I did try to buy a 10x4.7 from my LHS before going flying but they were out of stock. I'll see if I can wrangle a 9" one before heading out again.

LooseBruce

Yes, Congrats on your Slow Stick. It is a great plane. When I was first learning I broke it every which way I could. I tis still one of my favorite planes. Mine has an outrunner in it now because a HSVD destroyed the gear box.Just the other night I mistakenly forced a battery connector in reverse polarity and it burned up the power system. I had to stomp on it hard twice to put it out.

But....it is ready to go today. The stick is metal and it bent back into shape from about 40 degree crinkled bend.

Still a great flyer.
LooseBruce:eek: