Butterfly referb

Manfreds Revenge

Hi all! Just joined and figured I'd share my latest project. This is an old Dynaflite Butterfly that I built and flew with my grandfather about 20 years ago. He past away last year and while cleaning out his workshop I found this old bird up in the rafters. Other than being covered in a thick layer of dust, a mouse nest, and some damage to the monocoat it still was in pretty good shape after all these years. Much to my surprise the electronics still worked perfectly (Fubata rocks! Gave the Attack 4 a charge, changed the AAs in the servo power pack and everything worked like the last time it flew). So far I've got it cleaned up, stripped all the old cracked monocoat off the wings and tail, replaced the servos, and have it more or less ready to be converted to electric. I've been kind of puttsing around getting it completed.I'll have to fly it and am afraid of it shattering into a thousand pieces LOL! If anyone has plans I'd love to get my hands on them. Hopefully I'll have it completed soon and be able to show you guys this blast from the past rigged up for FPV. As a kid I always wished I could have rigged a camera to it. Now after all that time it looks like that wish will come true

Attachments

• butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 17

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Another high wing balsa trainer rescued from the bin-o-death! Good job! And welcome aboard!

Manfreds Revenge

Thanks! I have a lot of memories of this plane. It was the first RC aircraft I ever got to fly. It was also the first I ever crashed lol. I thought for years that it went the way of the dodo. I was extremely happy to find it.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Definitely one of those birds that had a great reputation. I think the kit is still available. They show up for sale regularly in the rcgroups classifieds.

Manfreds Revenge

It was a great flier and can really understand why they where so popular. I used to be able to put it into a headwind, throttle back some, and get it to pretty much just sit there. Even at extremely slow speeds it had great control response. I saw a kit for sale on Ebay a while back. I'm kind of kicking myself for not snagging it up.

I have done the same conversion, and you will need to add about 2-3/4 inches to the nose to get CG in the ball park. I used a Turnigy .15 size equivalent and ran 3300 mAh 3s. I also moved the servos forward to get a more forward CG. They really are great flying planes. I did this one for my dad. He originally built the plane in the early 80s. He now has an eFlite Apprentice, and thus the 3300 for the butterfly, since it's common with his Apprentice.

EDIT: here's a link with some pictures of my conversion. It pained me to take the glow engine off the nose, but that's the way my dad wanted it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115339

Last edited: