Can i use this with an old PC monitor?

Tactical Ex

I bought this item in hopes that I can use it for my first FPV ground station rig but I have a few other applications for it in the event that it just doesn't work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290718737382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I read reviews for the same item listed on amazon that people are using it not for displaying a computer screen to a TV without a VGA, DVI or HDMI port but instead using it to plug in game consoles like the Wii to a PC monitor so I figured if you can do that with it then why cant you connect the video Rx in the same way?

Thoughts?

bitogre

No, you cannot. This device is really only useful on systems that have graphics cards that can generate the right types of outputs. It is purely passive and expects the graphics card to do all the work. A VGA monitor will only accept a VGA signal (which is a form of component video but not quite the same).

You need an active device to covert but they are harder to find these days due to the transition to digital. Here is one such device. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a TV with composite video in.

bitogre

Yes, both of those look like they would probably work. The only concern I have is will the output work with all monitors. These are not scan converters so they may not be able to scale the output to match the capabilities of the monitor. So the only question is will the monitor accept the output resolution of these devices. Need to look that up in the monitor manual.

Tactical Ex

Thanks, I was thinking they would work. $20 isn't too bad for an experiment and I have plenty of applications in my new home to use these things if it doesn't work for FPV. I have like 10 extra VGA input monitors I have collected over my days in the IT industry so if its gonna work then I got 10 devices to test on.

Also, I found this video which seems to show the device (out of it's shell) I linked being used for an FPV station but it's hard to tell how all the electronics are linked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yvqFGozqA

Tactical Ex

I just got my ground station set up with the exception of the Rx so I did a quick test with some nostalgic old tech. It looks like the RCA to VGA adapter should work!