About to give up on DIY! Fried a motor :( :(

Gunman01

Yeah I suppose that's what I'm going to have to do. It's just hard for me to want to spend $60+ on a power pack for each airplane when I thought I could get the parts for 1/3 of that other places. At this point I've probably spent that in ESCs and motors that are all for nothing.....
Some times its all comes down to "you get what you pay for" and i hate that as much as any body else does.Be patient it will come around for ya soon.

Brianna81

Well, I'm not making a new thread because though I did go out to my field today, I wouldn't call it a maiden flight. Was more of a Las Vegas one hour girlfriend flight. It was quick and dirty and when it was over I said "I paid money for this?"

Too nose heavy. First time it went five feet before nose diving. Thought I lost the nose cone thing, but I found it buried in the dirt. Prop was trash. Tested everything, put another prop on, went 10 feet and crashed. Straightened prop out, maybe another 5 feet. Turned off expo in case it was too limiting, switched the rudder back to the right stick where I was used to it, actually flew for about 30 seconds. Very twitchy, and until I turned it flew ok. Started diving in the turn out of the wind and couldn't climb out. I had some weight with me I could have put on the tail, but I knew it was something I could overcome. Straightened prop out again, went more time, might have gotten about another 30 seconds, was going to do weight this time, only to find out the elevators didn't move anymore. I could hear the servo, but, no movement. Took off the wing, servo came loose for the elevator. So, 7% of the battery used, and here I am back home. I guess aside from being 2 props down, I guess I'm lucky everything else works lol. At least after some hot glue anyway. Hopefully next time, after some weight modification, I'll be able to make a video

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sad to hear about your problems with dud electronics. Almost none of my problems as a beginner came from bad electronics though. I had one motor that just crapped inexplicably, and it could have actually been something like I throttled it up to full with no prop on it and blew it out. It could have even been some fluke, I haven't retested the motor since. I did get a dud EDF unit, it said FMS but the label was kind of screwy and the color was light grey like some 3d print job. I think it was probably counterfeit, the price was very good. Also, one time one servo in a bulk batch refused to work and made my ESC get uncomfortably warm during testing electronics. Oh well, cheap servos, tossed that bad one and grabbed another. Still worth it.

Come to think of it, I believe the time I got the bad EDF that was probably fake, was also the one time I used eBay to source plane parts. I normally use Amazon for bulk servos and props, adapter and extender cables and Y harnesses, receivers, and battery sizes not offered in the FT store. I use the FT store for pretty much everything else, most common battery sizes, firewalls, push rods, ESC's (especially since pre-soldered). I source my motors from either FT or Graupner USA.