CHARGER AND POWER SUPPLY QUESTION

Just wondering if it is possible to parallel 2x battery chargers off one power supply.

I was looking at buying a power supply and maybe 2 chargers as it seems to be cheaper that way than buying a dual charger.

I want to charge different types of batteries at the same time.

What I was thinking about doing was running 2x power leads off the power supply and running them into 2x seperate chargers.

Can this be done?

i understand that the power supply would need enough output to cope with both of the chargers requirements.

Please see image

CHARGER SETUP.png

Thanks in advance

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Absolutely! You need to make sure that the PS can supply the current you will be drawing. If you have two 200W chargers, make sure you have a PS that can handle at least 400W. It has become quite common to use server PSs as they can be had for as little as $25-40$ on ebay and can deliver up to 1200W at 12V. Also, you can run two PSs in series to get 24V so it is expandable if you eventually need additional power. Many wrote-ups can be found on the web... time to flex your search-fu.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Computer power supplies with variable speed on demand fans are great. Much quieter than cheap power supplies, and as mentioned above, you can run a lot of chargers off one power supply. I currently have six chargers. I buy them on sale. I have a spare power supply, too, that I bought for $25.

Mike

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Running two Computer power supplies in series (for 24v output) is certainly doable, but read everything you can about how to do this safely.
It's VERY easy to create a system with a floating ground that can kill you.......
Doing it safely requires that you disable the chassis ground(s) on One of the supplies.
Again - be VERY careful and don't do it if you aren't sure how.

Best regards,
PCH