Check out the height these DLG's are getting

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Amazing as this is, it's even more impressive watching a strong thrower launching a nice ship in person.

My big DLG isn't really that competitive, and I can throw it over 110' (34m) on a good day . . . but a few months back I got a chance to fly in a group with a pilot throwing an Evo 3.1 who knew what he was doing. He was easily topping my launches by three times -- consistently -- and because of that, he was launching into air that I had to earn my way into.

. . . that, and I've thrown my whipit hard enough to crack the wing from the launch. Don't want to know what one of his full strength launches would do to a whipit ;)

Practice makes a big difference. An good airframe even more.

BTW, to add one more cool edge to an already cool sport . . . once you get the extra altitude to have time to fly and the speed envelope to go from zero-to-sixty and back to a crawl again in an instant, suddenly the "quick turnaround" from one flight to the next becomes possible:

abieex

Mentor
I purchased the "ELF" mini dlg a couple of winters ago just to get a taste of what that brand of flying is like. Needless to say I'm in total awe when it comes to the skills and technique required to be competitive in that arena! A full sized decent DLG is on the horizon for me.

Padroo

I had to look it up.

A Discus Launch Glider (DLG) is a radio controlled model sailplane launched using a 'discus launch' in which the glider is held by a wingtip and rotated around the flyer by hand before release.