CL 84 Dynavert vtol

the rc project

If you back up from hovering with horizontal stab down, that's a no no.
I’ve actually done a few flights with one of my test models to specifically test flying backwards, it proved to be a non issue. Likely because the tail motor compensating for the nose up push from the elevator. This is probably a far bigger issue on bicopter configurations. Also I believe the wing does go to zero degrees for forward flight but not on the ground because of prop clearance. This won’t be an issue for me because a scale size prop would be a 11in. This is twice the size of what ill be using

Last edited:

the rc project

Well I went for some flights this morning, YouTube is acting up and giving me uploading errors, but I managed to get this 10 second clip uploaded. This was at the end of the 2nd of two batteries, so I’m not disappointed at all, in fact a little bit of confetti made me smile. Man with the wing halfway tilted it is and absolute riot to putter around. I will keep trying to get the full flight vid up.
(I think I put her down a little too hard on the previous landing. Subsequent and violent throttle application resulted in unscheduled breakdancing)

NickRehm

Looks like some roll/yaw coupling with the wing at that angle. Have you accounted for that in the mixing? Also rate or angle controller? Angle controller will do some crazy things when rotated past ~80 degrees from level

the rc project

Looks like some roll/yaw coupling with the wing at that angle. Have you accounted for that in the mixing? Also rate or angle controller? Angle controller will do some crazy things when rotated past ~80 degrees from level
I haven’t accounted for any coupling but I think a lot of that movement was me, (I’m still trying to post the full video...)the sticks are incredibly sensitive in roll. I’m using the angle controller... I tried to set up the rate controller but I found tuning it more difficult then the rate controller which flew on the stock gains. If you don’t mind could you give a quick explanation why rate, angle, or cascaded controller would be used for different projects? As I recall you used cascaded on the profile F-35 vtol.

Last edited:

the rc project

Also I thought the crash was because the motor mount came loose, looking back at the footage zoomed in and slowed down I can see that clearly got past 80degrees and then the spin caused the motor to come off. I should look at setting up the rate controller again. Thanks!

the rc project

FINALLY, YouTube is a real pain on the phone. It won’t let me upload a video longer than a minute, so this is what y’all get. I’m sorry lol
The downwind approach was a little sketchy.
I was planning on doing some legit testing of transitions but ended up having too much fun at 45 ish degree wing tilt

Last edited:

NickRehm

Rate controller will play much more nicely when you start transitioning into airplane mode (plus depending on if you want stabilization in forward flight, rate mode lets you do rolls and loops). I typically set my projects up in angle mode for hover (easier to fly), rate mode during transition (because it handles those control couplings a bit better), then rate mode in forward flight (assignments in the control mixer in forward flight don't have to be stabilized, in which case controller type doesn't even matter).

The cascaded controller option is just a refined/better performing angle controller for high performance quads basically. You won't notice much benefit on a platform like this, which is why I generally recommend the basic angle controller for most cases.

We want to see full forward flight!

the rc project

Rate controller will play much more nicely when you start transitioning into airplane mode (plus depending on if you want stabilization in forward flight, rate mode lets you do rolls and loops). I typically set my projects up in angle mode for hover (easier to fly), rate mode during transition (because it handles those control couplings a bit better), then rate mode in forward flight (assignments in the control mixer in forward flight don't have to be stabilized, in which case controller type doesn't even matter).

The cascaded controller option is just a refined/better performing angle controller for high performance quads basically. You won't notice much benefit on a platform like this, which is why I generally recommend the basic angle controller for most cases.

We want to see full forward flight!

Awesome! I will keep this current version flying to test what I can when switching between flight modes.( i don’t want to wreck the “pretty” one before I really nail the controls). However it is limited by what the tilt servo in the current configuration can do given the low torque. This shouldn’t be a problem on the next version. But the longer I fly the old one testing stuff out, the longer I wait to build the new one! Also I’d like to say thanks for the amount of help you’ve given me. It’s opened up a whole new world of what’s possible for me. Thanks!

NickRehm

Definitely the right approach to use the old version as the 'beater' aircraft to figure out all the issues early on haha. You've got my full support in getting this thing flying perfectly (y)

the rc project

Well guys here’s another crap unfinished project. Quite the change from last post but it’s been a while and not much progress. It’s unlikely I’ll revisit this as it caused a lot of hassle. I know people can do this stuff in their sleep but it’s made me enjoy the hobby less. The amount of money, time and energy for me to even hover regularly was just stupid. Between the 2 teensys and 3 imus all just seized to communicate. While trying to figure it out the orange light on the teensy just shut off. Second time this had happened and I’ve lost all of enjoyment. Sorry I can’t finish a project
94DA33BD-0FFA-455B-B7D9-5B373948A231.jpeg

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Well guys here’s another crap unfinished project. Quite the change from last post but it’s been a while and not much progress. It’s unlikely I’ll revisit this as it caused a lot of hassle. I know people can do this stuff in their sleep but it’s made me enjoy the hobby less. The amount of money, time and energy for me to even hover regularly was just stupid. Between the 2 teensys and 3 imus all just seized to communicate. While trying to figure it out the orange light on the teensy just shut off. Second time this had happened and I’ve lost all of enjoyment. Sorry I can’t finish a project
View attachment 196355

It sounds like you might be coming out on the right side of the "sunk cost fallacy." Sometimes an idea doesn't work out; no need to beat yourself up over it if you're not enjoying the process. Strip the parts and make something you will enjoy.
It's taken me most of my life to get to a point where I'm able to emotionally step away from a stalled or failed project far enough to realize it's time to scrap it.
Eg: powering an egg-drop glider from jr high school, my RC model of the USS Monitor, a dinghy I designed that was never quite right and started rotting faster that I could repair, various cosplay props, painting a complete Warhammer army for a friend, etc etc.

NickRehm

Definitely a difficult project, so can't blame you for wanting to take a step back. But definitely take the time to reflect on what you accomplished in the process--I would certainly call your work a success. 8-9 years ago when VTOL was still in its infancy, this project would have made you a 'god' in the RC community

The Dynavert isn't an easy platform to get working with VTOL either--especially with that wing tilt mechanism. Might be worthwhile to tackle a simpler platform/configuration like a VTOL quadplane to master the flight controller side of things first. Either way--on to the next project!

the rc project

Thanks guys, maybe I’ll come back to it one day. Cant believe I’ve never been able to find that video before, that’s a great model. Anyways, Working on other cool stuff for a bit first though