Coming back to the hobby with some fresh builds.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been taking a break for a while, but decided to come back. I still have some of my original foamy fleet, but freed up some electronics from sloppy/inefficient builds. I won't be building at the pace I used to, but I will be going for quality of performance. My approach will still be building simple 4ch single engine planes for a while, but they will be clean. Less wild experimentation, and more going for a specific purpose build, maximizing on the methods and designs I know work well. My first build coming in will be something chill and easy to build and fly, but something I'll get a lot out of.

What I've decided on is a basic flat plate delta slow flyer about the aspect ration of the Vulcan, straight delta wing, three stabilizers with the mid one with rudder as I often like to do on tailless. I'm going to use a combat style open box fuselage underneath. This will use the Emax B pack motor and 10" slow fly props, and will be a good plane to get me flying again. I'll post some build pics here as it comes along.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Welcome back. Can't wait to see your new design!
Thanks! This one is a warmup to get back in both building and flying. Not breaking any new ground, just trying to make a nice chill flyer. The colored paper foam is a little bit heavier than normal but the design is light and overpowered so perfect for this one. It just needs linkages and receiver. 4ch 28" span by 20" chord delta.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks! This one is a warmup to get back in both building and flying. Not breaking any new ground, just trying to make a nice chill flyer. The colored paper foam is a little bit heavier than normal but the design is light and overpowered so perfect for this one. It just needs linkages and receiver. 4ch 28" span by 20" chord delta.
That looks fun. Go carve up some sky brother!

Vimana89

Legendary member
That looks fun. Go carve up some sky brother!
Been windy here, but might get a good chance Friday. Even though this is an easy build I haven't been rushing it. Only issue is It's about time to replace this dull blade on my knife. It wasn't a problem for this and it still came out fine, but it was noticeable during the airframe build process, lol.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Will post when the delta is finished. My upcoming projects, unless something different comes up that interests me, will be something with a nacelle prop, either a swept wing monoplane or delta design, adding a rudder to my 3ch Vulcan, and trying an Armin wing airfoil plane with a stubby configuration similar to a Bee. Just need to get more regular Adam's board.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Finished it last night, maidened and dialed it in today. More finicky with CG and reflex than I was expecting, but still had the skill to handle a poorly dialed and balanced plane enough to bring it in and adjust a couple times. Got it flying really nice now and even does great high alpha. I will try to get my new action cam up and running and get a video of it soon 👍 All up weight with a 650 3s is 360g.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
The design would also work well with a KFM air foil for higher speeds and wind resistance. I chose flat plate for low speeds, aerobatics, and high alpha, but could see this design working well with KFM. I'd recommend smaller elevons for higher speeds, it is sensitive with 2.5" elevons even at low to modest speed.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've decided I'm going to convert this delta to KFM style air foil. I usually just am lazy and glue the top layer on separate and packing tape the leading edge anyway, so won't have to do anything different to upgrade than I would have done to build it that way to begin with. Will add negligible weight to overall, and more stability, and more drag which isn't bad, because it accelerated fast and flew unstable at higher speed with the flat plate wing.

I will also upgrade my 3ch Vulcan to 4ch.

I've decided I'm going to convert this delta to KFM style air foil. I usually just am lazy and glue the top layer on separate and packing tape the leading edge anyway, so won't have to do anything different to upgrade than I would have done to build it that way to begin with. Will add negligible weight to overall, and more stability, and more drag which isn't bad, because it accelerated fast and flew unstable at higher speed with the flat plate wing.

I will also upgrade my 3ch Vulcan to 4ch.
Terrific - The upgrade will give you the opportunity to directly compare them against each other. Personally I've never been patient enough to build two of the same plane. You're doing it with just one.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The KFM upgrade on the new delta is done, and the rudder is cut on the old Vulcan, just have to link it. Will post pics of both when done and test them as soon as I can. I got my new camera working well enough to get some footage.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Adding the KFM air foil was totally worth it. This plane is a serious flyer now. I have tested it yesterday, and seen a huge improvement. I also added a rudder to my Vulcan. I will add pics tomorrow and post flight footage, at very least a short clip of the KFM delta.

Vimana89

Legendary member
This is with the KFM upgrade. It looks similar to FT's delta. Mine's 28 by 20 theirs is 27 by 20 but mine is 4ch with triple stablilizers and rudder in the middle. It's a very practical design and flies great. Nothing that should require formal plans as anyone can make their own version of this or even just use FT's delta as a base. I will post a clip soon, I was nowhere near full throttle with an emax B and slow fly prop and this thing is fairly fast. It would be pretty extreme with a radial C pack.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Before buying new foam, I've decided I've definitely got enough scraps left for something on one of the free A pack motors. Time to up my game to something that will take a little bit more thought to design and build. Already coming together in my mind. I'm going to build a little KFM bipe with a nacelle tractor. Instead of bothering with 3ch or with ailerons, I will just use elevons and rudder 4ch.

Before buying new foam, I've decided I've definitely got enough scraps left for something on one of the free A pack motors. Time to up my game to something that will take a little bit more thought to design and build. Already coming together in my mind. I'm going to build a little KFM bipe with a nacelle tractor. Instead of bothering with 3ch or with ailerons, I will just use elevons and rudder 4ch.
Glad we're seeing you here more again, and glad to hear and see what you're up to. (y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Glad we're seeing you here more again, and glad to hear and see what you're up to. (y)
Thanks, it's good to be back! I won't be cranking out planes every other day like I used to. Once I build these spare parts from thinning my fleet into quality new planes I'm happy with, it will probably slow down even a bit more. I'll just be balancing the hobby more with other stuff in life.
What's good it it will prevent burnout, and focus me more towards quality than rapid experimentation. My designs and builds this year will still not be highly complex, but I'll be making sure they are well thought out and meet a higher minimum standard of being clean and durable, as well as demand excellent performance and max fun from each one.

Thanks, it's good to be back! I won't be cranking out planes every other day like I used to. Once I build these spare parts from thinning my fleet into quality new planes I'm happy with, it will probably slow down even a bit more. I'll just be balancing the hobby more with other stuff in life.
What's good it it will prevent burnout, and focus me more towards quality than rapid experimentation. My designs and builds this year will still not be highly complex, but I'll be making sure they are well thought out and meet a higher minimum standard of being clean and durable, as well as demand excellent performance and max fun from each one.
Sounds like a solid plan. (y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
A pack motor wasn't enough power. Will swap the motor out or just revisit in the future. Not a bad attempt for leftover scraps. The delta is a real winner though. I have a small bit of flight footage, will try to film some more and post. Other than that, will be back to the next build in a few days to a week or so when I get some new foam.