Completely New to RC. Here is what I will be ordering, what do you think?

Lupus

Ok, so I am completely new to RC Aircraft. I am very interested in FPV and am looking for that "Virtual Flying Experience".

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first setup. I plan to scratch build the FT Simple Storch and modify it to carry a camera for FPV operation. Below I've listed (and linked) everything that I plan to get (with the exception of the actual foam board). Please take a look and let me know if I have left anything off or if I should change/upgrade anything. Thank you in advance for your help.

Transmitter and Reciever:

Turnigy 9XR PRO Radio Transmitter Mode 2 (without module)

OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible)
OrangeRx R910 DSM2 Compatible 9Ch 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx
Turnigy 9XR Safety Protected 11.1v (3s) 2200mAh 1.5C Transmitter Pack x 2

FPV Equipment (Sitting for my technician license on April 7):

Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT)
Skyzone Plug-N-Play FPV 500-Set With TS58500 TX, RC832 RX, Sony 700CCD and C/P Antennas
DragonOSD+ v2 Combo: OSD, Current Sensor, and GPS
HobbyKing X-1000 Advanced Head-Movement-Tracker Gyro
FPV Fiberglass Pan-Tilt Camera Mount L-Size

General RC Supplies:

IMAX B6AC V2 Professional Balance Charger/Discharger

FT Simple Storch Materials:

Suppo 2217/7 1250kv Brushless Motor (Park 425 equiv.)
TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack x 3
SF E-Prop 10x4.7 / 254x119.5mm w/ Adapters Black (5pcs/bag)
HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo x 10
Metal Push Rods M2.2xL300 (10pcs/set)
Linkage Stopper D1.8mm (10pcs)
Twisted 30CM Servo Lead Extention (JR) 22AWG (5pcs/set)
60CM Servo Lead Extention (JR) with hook 26AWG (5pcs/bag)
JR Y Servo Lead 30CM Length (5pcs/bag)

earthsciteach

I would recommend building a "learner" airplane before installing the equipment in the Storch if you have never flown before. An FT Flyer is a great one to take the plunge with!

Lupus

I would recommend building a "learner" airplane before installing the equipment in the Storch if you have never flown before. An FT Flyer is a great one to take the plunge with!

While I have never flown a model airplane, I have flown the simple gyro model helicopters, and several flight sims (not that that experience necessarily translates) and I do plan on flying the plane los to get the hang of it before adding in the expensive FPV gear.

earthsciteach

Cool! Be prepared to rebuild the plane a couple of times. Its nice the these are so inexpensive from that standpoint.

Lupus

Cool! Be prepared to rebuild the plane a couple of times. Its nice the these are so inexpensive from that standpoint.

Yeah, I figured I would pick up a case of foam board (25 sheets for $25, can't beat it.) I figured I would spend a lot of effort making one look pretty once I got the hang of flying it, not before. :cool:

Everywhere I've read it says to plan on crashing. I certainly found that to be true with the helicopter. But this is my first scratch build so I wanted to make sure I had all the components I needed and that they would all play nice together. Something I have no experience with at all. (although I build PC's for fun so I can trouble shoot connection issues).

earthsciteach

Just go for it! Troubleshooting is a great skill to have in this hobby. In fact, it may be the best skill to have. You can do it. Remember - this is all about having fun! (crashing is fun, too).

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I went through many airframes before I could fly one long enough to invest the time making it pretty. So don't be discouraged if it takes a bit.

I personally think the Storch is a great trainer. It will fly very slow. And as mentioned, the <$4 air frame is great for learning. Honestly, there's never been a better time to learn RC. There is an abundance of cheap gear available, internet forums, etc. The Storch will definitely grow with you. If you really weight it down you might consider some functional struts and beefing up the wing joint a bit. Good luck!!!

CloseCall

Hey. I have not been in the hobby for long, and I've been trying to get into FPV from day one. I ordered a bunch of stuff... waaaayyy too much stuff, and just want to share a couple things with you, as you may not be made of money.

All that stuff you are buying will work together. Getting it to work and getting your plane in the air is a different story. I've built now five foam board airplanes, none remain alive. Building takes skill. It looks easier than it is. The planes are susceptible to damage in many circumstances. My advice is this: be patient. The more I have tried to rush into things, the more frustrated I have been when they didn't work out. Get the plane in the air and comfortable with it's flight characteristics first. That's all I have to offer. Good luck.

PhenomPilot

Hey Lupus, glad to here that you are hooked! I would also recommend trying the flyer first mostly because it is an easy build/rebuild and will keep you flying more. You would need smaller batteries like 3s1300 (which can be used for 250 race quad down the road), smaller motor and props. That is about $20 for a beater plane that you can crash a lot without much worry. If you still go with the storch for your first one, make sure to build or at least cutout two planes at once to save the hassle of doing it in the near future.
Also, not to discourage you but FVP is also another steep learning curve. It wouldn't be a bad idea to set a goal to work to so you don't jump too deep too early. Maybe hold off ordering the fpv gear until you have accomplished three full flights without a crash or some other goal.

I did see you put 1.8mm linkage stoppers and 2.2mm rod on your list but might have missed 1.8mm rod. Control horns are also helpful if you didn't have that. I wouldn't bother with 2 tx batteries at first. One 1500mah battery lasts about a month in my 9x tx.

Have fun and looking forward to some pictures.

PhenomPilot

Other things I thought of were:
Real rubber bands
Heat shrink (and a half decent soldering iron is nice)
3.5mm bullet connectors
Wheels
Lipo alarm
Xt60 connectors (or what ever common connector you choose)
Colored tape (from tape brothers) :)