continuity between batt +/- pins on naze32?

I sadly summoned the genie when I fried my naze32 (didn't reverse the polarity, but accidentally plugged a JST connector 1 pin off, and connected the positive lead to the negative pin on the board :( )

Anyways - luckily I had a spare. I'm to prevent that from happening I soldered a JST to the board. And to make sure the solder joint didn't short the pins, I checked for continuity...and my multimeter is beeping? I see zero evidence of a short though. Shouldn't there be NO continuity if nothing else is plugged into the board? Or is the circuitry on the board causing the continuity (I wish I knew a bit more about electrical stuff!)

OhzshW8.png

Last edited:

x0054

Are you plugging in the battery there to sense the voltage, or for power? If I remember correctly, that terminal is just for battery sensing, it has a resistor between ground and power which sends most of the current back to ground. This is why your meter is beeping. That terminal is not supposed to be used to power board. You are supposed to power the board with 5V from one of the servo outputs.

Are you plugging in the battery there to sense the voltage, or for power? If I remember correctly, that terminal is just for battery sensing, it has a resistor between ground and power which sends most of the current back to ground. This is why your meter is beeping. That terminal is not supposed to be used to power board. You are supposed to power the board with 5V from one of the servo outputs.

yup just for voltage sensing. Thanks for the explanation!

@William A - okay..I'm having trouble deducing why you're telling me to buy new connectors. Are you implying there's a short in all of my JST connectors..? Can you provide more detail

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
@William A - okay..I'm having trouble deducing why you're telling me to buy new connectors. Are you implying there's a short in all of my JST connectors..? Can you provide more detail
I'm assuming it's because the act of soldering is melting your insulation and that can lead to shorts as well. Not a replacement need by itself, if you're careful and aware, but recommended to make your life easier in the future when the need for replacement arises.

William A

Billy did it....
Yes, exactly what xuzme said. The silicone insulation is much, much easier to work with.

It's one of those, "I should of done this earlier" things.

x0054

Nextmoneypit, there is a voltage splitter between those 2 pins on the board. As a result, depending on the meter you have, you may or may not get a beep from that circuit. Try measuring resistance on those pins with your meter, you should get about 10kOhm, if I remember correctly. If you get less than that, especially if it's less then 1kOhm, you probably have a short.

As for the JST connectors, silicon is nice, but from your photo I doubt that's your problem.

William A

Billy did it....
As for the JST connectors, silicon is nice, but from your photo I doubt that's your problem.

Sorry you all thought I meant it was his 'current' (lol) problem. What I meant was a near future problem.

Last edited: