Control line challenge!

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
There is a great thread here about control line aircraft here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?13714-Line-control, and a lot of people made theirs out of DTFB.
I suggest a challenge to:
1. create a mechanism for controlling a small brushless motor with the handle, without the use of wireless.
2. Build a plane that will work as a control line plane (or use one that already works).
3. Fly and crash it
:)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It would probably be easiest to convert the ft3d. The symmetrical airfoil will make it fly much better and you could run the ailerons as flaps in conjunction with the elevator.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
That could work, but I was thinking something a bit smaller. With control line, the pull on the string is a real factor, so a FT Mighty Mini be a good place to start.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
A might mini would be too small. 60 ft lines on an ft3d sized plane would be actually a little smaller than most .35 sized LC stunt planes.

psychedvike

Really any of the FT planes could be convered to line control. Personally I'd like to see the FT racer converted. A bellcrank connected to the elevator and modify the alirons a bit, into a flap of sorts, so they are inboard some. They should work in the opposite direction of the elevator. A 2826 1200 or 1400 KV motor, a 30 amp ESC. a three cell 1000, 1800, or even 2200, (over kill), and a brodak timer. Probably would work fine on 52 foot lines. 1/2 A lines would for sure work but you would be turning some fast circles. This is a great way for people to get into flying without sinking money into a radio system. I did it alot as a teen. I learned a bunch and had a blast. I would add to the challage that there should be two or even three guys flying in the circle. That's when it gets hairy!