controller to view mavic pro image

wayuphigh

Hi, I just brought a mavic pro and is both excited and disappointed. I thought the controller would allow me to view image but instead I have to attach an ipad or something to the controller to view the image.Does anybody know if there is a way to make it that i can just use the controller to view image and control the mavic?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hi wayuphigh, welcome to the FT Forums! I think there are a few Mavic users here, and I know the FliteTest team also use/love it, but you might find there are still not that many mavic users on this forum.

That said, I do believe that in order to view the video feed on pretty much most / if not all DJI products, using their video system, you will need a mobile device.

One way to avoid that is to get their goggles. They have a proprietary video link / protocol, so it really will be only their goggles that you can use to view the video. If you're new to the Mavic, it might just be a bit daunting to also invest in the goggles. I would fly line of sight and learn to use it before venturing to that, but that's just me.

Do you not have a mobile device you can use? Either a phone or tablet? I believe they support both android and ios, so you're not bound by a particular manufacturer. Heck, DJI might even sell a tablet themselves just for this purpose. I thought I saw someone with a DJI tablet flying a Phantom 3 back a few years.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
You will need a phone or tablet that is new enough to function with the Mavic to get an image.

My iPhone5 did not cut the mustard, so I found a cheap but adequate Android option that works well. I got the Amazon Moto G (4th ed) for like $129 which had ads, but they were not intrusive at all. I believe for the same price there is a newer/faster version available now. The best part of Amazon is if it doesn't work out for you, just return it and try something else. The thing I looked for in the phone was the 1080 resolution to have a great viewing picture.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Oh wow. Didn't realize there were minimum specs required of the mobile device. Sheesh, that sure does make it more expensive to fly these fancy rigs, eh? Even with a $130 phone, I would assume you need a SIM card -- isn't that how they update? Wirelessly/OTA via a mobile network?

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
No sim card in mine. Just use wifi at home for updates and occasionally a hotspot from my iphone but rarely needed.

4U2NVME

Hello WUH,

Yes you do need at least a cell phone or a tablet. I use both my Samsung S7 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. They both work well, and with additional software installed, for me AZ Screen Recorder, it also allow me to record my onscreen flight that I am seeing on my tablet or phone to review for learning later.

As stated I think there is minimum values, but a quick google search with your phone and mavic pro should tell you if your phone is new or powerful enough to work properly.

-NV