Decal Plans - Everybody Join In

oOFutteOo

I dont do hole planes, but right now im building a bloody baron and i use small printed decals on the plane. I just print the decal cut it out and glue it to the foam(i am building in depron) with ordinary glue on a stick. After that i cover the decal with clear packing tape.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
This looks like fun, but it reminded of this article awhile back, DIY (Tissue Paper) Decals http://flitetest.com/articles/diy-tissue-paper-decals

Tissue paper is how I covered my Storch (see a few posts back) I print on 13X30 sheets of tissue through my Epson inkjet and covered an entire part of the storch while it's still a flat piece of faom. Then I build the plane like normal. Coat with Polycrylic and your good to go! Printing tissue paper sheets cost me about $2.50 a sheet. I think the Storch was 11 sheets.

I also created and print the tissue coverings for these guys:
enterprise-a_final_600.jpg enterprise-d.jpg sg-ideas002002.jpg Viper1.jpg
Yeah, I like Si-Fi too. ;)

I really don't like using tissue paper for small decals unless it's going on a white background (foam). Tissue has to much show through. You can coat the back with white spray paint but painting is what I wanted to avaoid in the first place. I like to put tons of detail in my designs. Can't see it when your flying but you have to land sometimes! That and people check out your plane more on the ground than in the air.

Rasterize

Mentor
I did these for the Viggen last year. They will need some editing as they were meant to wrap around the edges of the foam. They were going to be vinyl but should work on paper after some adjustments. The Red Ghost and Gray Viggen could use some orientation stripes on the lower wings. Not a big deal to add.
Anyway, I dig them up, edit and repost post them if anyone is interested.
thumb-GLM Viggen Proof.jpg thumb-Red Ghost Viggen Proof.jpg thumb-R-Grey Viggen Proof.jpg Viggen Blue Peter Proof.jpg

Last edited:

tyoho

NEAT Fair

Thanks guys! I now know what my 25 years in the graphic arts and printing industry was ultimately for....this! lol ;)
I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to create my files. I really do love designing for Flite Test planes. Especially historical aircraft like the P-51 and the Storch.
I will start with changing over the Storch to this method. Then I'll finish off the P-51. I have another couple of FT type aircraft graphics I'm working on, one is mine (The Spirit of St. Louis) and the other is a friends who's "thunder shall remain unstolen" so to speak. All of this on top of attending NEAT makes for a busy fall!

I'll have to look you up at NEAT. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to fly this year, but I plan on being there Saturday either way.
Should start a thread and try to do a FT meet-up there.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I did these for the Viggen last year. They will need some editing as they were meant to wrap around the edges of the foam. They were going to be vinyl but should work on paper after some adjustments. The Red Ghost and Gray Viggen could use some orientation stripes on the lower wings. Not a big deal to add.

Do it. I'm sure that if this takes off lots of people will be interested. A Viggen is also on my eventual build list. Were you going to print them on vinyl? Other mediums could be interesting. You could make some very strong planes with thin plastic sheets.

Were the starships all depron?

I'm thinking of trying this out on a speed build kit. I think if you're careful you could do the inside layer first. Got a mini speedster still in the box that may get the treatment.

Rasterize

Mentor
I'll have to look you up at NEAT.....Should start a thread and try to do a FT meet-up there.

I hope to see you there. NEAT is definitely is a different atmosphere than Flite Fest.

A Flite Test meet up at the Peaceful Valley Campground where NEAT is held would be awesome!

tyoho

I hope to see you there. NEAT is definitely is a different atmosphere than Flite Fest.

A Flite Test meet up at the Peaceful Valley Campground where NEAT is held would be awesome!

I've been there the last two years just to watch. Might try to fly this year, at least in the mass war-bird launch.

In 2013 got to meet Josh, David and Austin.

I didn't even think of a "separate" FT meet up. If it was totally informal, like we all just happen to camp there on the same weekend, that could be a blast.

Rasterize

Mentor
Were you going to print them on vinyl?
Were the starships all depron?
I'm thinking of trying this out on a speed build kit. I think if you're careful you could do the inside layer first.

I had the blue one printed on vinyl by Cali Graphics. It turned out great!

The starships where done with a depron like foam called Model Plane Foam (MPF)

I definitely want to try replacing the paper on a speed build kit with pre printed paper.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got my engineering print plans from Staples today.

They came out very well. High quality print job, better I think than what my laser can do. Gonna try and get this built this weekend. Not bad for 20 bucks. Now if we could just get Adams to print plans on the actual foam board paper we'd be set.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
localfiend, that looks pretty sick! Can't wait to see it on the model. Great job man!!!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Got my engineering print plans from Staples today.
They came out very well. High quality print job, better I think than what my laser can do. Gonna try and get this built this weekend. Not bad for 20 bucks. Now if we could just get Adams to print plans on the actual foam board paper we'd be set.

I keep fighting with myself about spending $20 on a skin for a $3 airframe. Awhile ago this article was published, Updated-Paper Skin for Foam Board by Desert*Wings. There are great designs for the FT3D. I just never won that argument with myself.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I keep fighting with myself about spending $20 on a skin for a $3 airframe. Awhile ago this article was published, Updated-Paper Skin for Foam Board by Desert*Wings. There are great designs for the FT3D. I just never won that argument with myself.

Yeah, I'll be printing all the others myself. Just wanted to test this out for those out there who might not have access to a printer. Cost to print it myself is only a couple bucks if that much.

Apparently I need to pay more attention to the articles section. There's lots of good stuff on there. I generally just stick to forums as they're easier to search for things.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Just added up Decal Plans for the FT Bushwacker. Green and Red versions of a Highlander/Super STOL paint scheme.

I've only got the tiled version up right now - the full version will have to come later. 43 Pages with everything squished together. This was a big plane.

paultbg

Prining on Self Adhesive Sticker Paper ?

Hello all

Normally I build from depron and this foam does not have the paper layer on top.
However it does need to be reinforced. Usually I apply a layer or two of clear transparent packing tape on the outside before cutting the foam. I was thinking that I can print the decals on this type of sticker paper, stick it on the foam and then add the clear tape. For sure it will add few grams to the build but it will look better and I don't have to use the glue spray...
What do you think, this could work?

Paul

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hello all

Normally I build from depron and this foam does not have the paper layer on top.
However it does need to be reinforced. Usually I apply a layer or two of clear transparent packing tape on the outside before cutting the foam. I was thinking that I can print the decals on this type of sticker paper, stick it on the foam and then add the clear tape. For sure it will add few grams to the build but it will look better and I don't have to use the glue spray...
What do you think, this could work?

Paul

Should work great on depron. I've given some thought to printing on vinyl sheets as well. I imagine things will be a lot stronger though it'l be heavier and more expensive than paper and glue. The glue spray is really easy to use and cheap if you're worried about that, but your method should work just as well.

Frits37

View attachment 53739 View attachment 53740 View attachment 53741 View attachment 53742

Hi Rasterize,

I am planning to start building a Viggen this autumn (already have all the hardware, exept for the foam) and yes, I am very much interested. I was planning to do a splinter camo version, but unfortunately the link to the decal file is broken (or the file is no longer available). But seeing your work I am very much interested in downloading the plans. I guess it will be the red one for me (show must go on) although that was an AJ37 and the FT Viggen is a JA37 version (the difference between both is visible in the tail section). But the red scheme is great :)

rdallaire

Are you guys coating the paper after the plane is built with minwax or anything like that or is the glossy or vinyl covering usually good enough for protection?