Designing and building my own mini-quad!

mpbiv

The new design looks very nice. I especially like the holder for your receiver. I'm either going to have to give Shapeways a try, or get my own 3D printer because those kind of mods are the best. You also really need to get a PDB made for that quad. I can draw one up in DipTrace one of these days if you'd like.
I actually got a e-mail from shapeways today that my order is being delayed since they are moving to a bigger facility. Total bummer because I just uploaded and ordered some printed parts for my next project, and they won't be here until Thanksgiving it looks like.

Another option is finding someone local on http://www.makexyz.com/ to print some parts. I found this site recently which is like a directory of 3D Printers by location. Quite a few in the Orlando area it seems. However I really like the finish from the high end laser sintered plastic 3D printers Shapeways uses, so I am not going to cancel my order. I'll probably just get something made locally to hold me over until the Shapeways parts arrive.

I may have to hire you to do a PDB!

mpbiv

Finally weighed the mini-quad

AUW without battery: 529g
AUW 1.JPG

AUW with 1300mAh 4S Thunder Power: 677g
AUW 2.JPG

Thunder Power claimed 142g for the battery specs without connector, and it adds up to 148g with deans connector in real life, so that's pretty good published specs on their part.

mpbiv

So I've been using this quad to practice my FPV flying. I'm slowly getting better at it, but I also have a tendency to push beyond my skills, so I have been crashing almost everything I own lately. This quad was my latest victim.

Part of it is also that I keep messing with the tune trying to get everything right, and this time I turned up the roll/pitch rate a little too high because it felt sluggish before. I flew a couple circuits before attempting a roll, and apparently I have enough expo dialed in (65%) that it is still flyable at center stick. Well I did one roll, overshot big time and was inverted, realized it, tried to roll back and overshot again, and before I knew it I was in the dirt. Damage includes a prop, my printed receiver antenna holder broke (because I hit the ground upside down), and the Immersion VTX appears to have some damage too from the antenna strike and the antenna being directly mounted. Otherwise the frame survived, and even though the VTX looks damaged, it was still transmitting fine when I disconnected the battery.

Here is some of the damage:
IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Since I have some stuff to fix, may as well do some upgrades! A while ago I decided that I wanted to run a dedicated FPV cam since the GoPro has minor video out lag. At first the video lag on the GoPro wasn't terrible, but after flying some of my newer copters using the Fat Shark 600TVL and also the Sony Super HAD 600TVL CCD dedicated FPV cameras, it has become clear they have a advantage on viewable area, update rate, and general dynamic range for flying.

Below is my updated GoPro mount with a tiny 600TVL camera I got from multirotorsuperstore. It is the same micro 600TVL I believe GetFPV and Surveilzone are selling.
IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

The new mount has the GoPro and FPV camera tilted back 10*. I am also going to replace the VTX this week and add on a SMA cable to prevent the antenna from damaging the VTX board in a crash.

jipp

looks like the sharks antenna can take crash then, and if you had the cable your VTX would of been ok.

by the way where did you mount PDB? i see your FC but not your PDB.

chris.