Help! designing with 3d software

akimbo

Recently I have been experimenting with using Adobe Illustrator to design foam planes and it has worked well however, there are a few limitations. This includes most complex shapes such as round or beveled fuselages, smooth airfoils, and detailed nose cones. That is why I have decided to attempt using 3d software(onshape). There are several tutorials out there but I have not found one that includes how to transfer the 3d model in to 2d plans. If anyone knows of any programs or tutorials that help with this please link them below. I not sure but, there could also be some features within onshape that I am not aware of.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...If anyone knows of any programs or tutorials that help with this please link them below...
Here is one for Fusion 360, another free 3D program. I suspect the process will be the same regardless of what program you use. Basically, you need to find 3 views of a plane, top, side & front. Then import them into your program, get them aligned, and trace them out. I have found with FB planes all you need is a side view. Everything else is made to fit the power pod & battery.

Last edited:

mastermalpass

Elite member
I use Adobe Illustrator to figure out the shapes for the formers then I measure out the spaces between the formers. When I stick the formers onto the spacers, I can use the ‘rollation’ method to figure out the skin shapes. The drawback is I have found there to be quite a bit of trial and error with this approach.

Goudbeekje

I have been searching and did some trying with blender and papermaker.

I still cannot find a good example of modeling in 3d with foamboard material thickness and export it in paper plans in an easy way.

Modeling is ok. Material thickness as well.

But export it somehow to print it in an easy way, with the right thickness and cut marks...

This seems to be as much work as the modeling part.
Metal sheeting and pepakura/papermaker or the blender paper export I s just half work as it seems to me.

Does anyone know good software / tutorial on this.
?

Goudbeekje

I will have a close look at this one and try fusion 360.

Thx a lot.

I guess i just have to get it out off my head that after the 3d moddeling, the step to get it 9n paper is just a few clicks....

quorneng

Master member
"But export it somehow to print it in an easy way, with the right thickness and cut marks...
This seems to be as much work as the modeling part."

I think you have discovered the "cost" of producing a detailed "simple to build" plan.
A scratch builder would simply say don't bother I already know how to make it.

Goudbeekje

I made the model and simple guide plans for a leonardo m346 master. And for myself it is ok to build with.

I was just irritated/ wondered a bit about this part.

XDmToter

I find it easier to use sketchup than solid modeling tools like fusion and onshape.

Solid modeling tools are great for designing complex parts for 3D printing.

Sketchup is a 3d modeling tool, but shapes are just represented by flat faces. They can be unfolded and flattened.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I find it easier to use sketchup than solid modeling tools like fusion and onshape.

Solid modeling tools are great for designing complex parts for 3D printing.

Sketchup is a 3d modeling tool, but shapes are just represented by flat faces. They can be unfolded and flattened.
That is an interesting take and shows different things work for different people. I learned a lot using sketchup but just felt like I out grew it. Use mostly Fusion 360 now.

XDmToter

It seemed the original poster’s concern was the ability to transfer the 3D model to a 2D plan. I find this process to be easiest in Sketchup when designing planes to be built from flat sheet foam. There are plugins such as the unfold tool that really help with this task.
Solid Modeling tools certainly have their place. But I always go back to sketchup for making dollar tree foam designs.