Help! Diatone MAMBA ESC Firewall

MrKilometer

I am installing a 45 amp Diatone Mamba esc on 5" my racing quadcopter. There is a metal firewall that protects one side of the esc, but the instructions are unclear whether this goes toward the quadcopter's frame or away from it. My intuition says it goes towards it, but since carbon fiber is conductive, will this cause a problem? If anyone has any insight into this, please let me know!

Liam B

That's the heatsink used to cool the FETs and keep the ESC at a good operating temperature. The heatsink generally isn't conductive, but is designed to be installed facing up to dissipate the heat.

MrKilometer

Thank you for the help! I'm running into a different problem now: the esc resets at low throttle settings. The props are not attached when I perform test runs of the motors, but it still cuts the motors, and plays the initialization tones 🤨. I have to disarm/rearm to get the motors to run again. The MAMBA stack is brand new, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kilometer

Liam B

Thank you for the help! I'm running into a different problem now: the esc resets at low throttle settings. The props are not attached when I perform test runs of the motors, but it still cuts the motors, and plays the initialization tones 🤨. I have to disarm/rearm to get the motors to run again. The MAMBA stack is brand new, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kilometer

So you have the build finished and when you try and take off it cuts out, or on the bench in BetaFlight it cuts out? Sounds like the ESC isn't getting enough voltage or it's faulty. I have heard of Diatone having some rough quality control. Can you attach a photo of the ESC solder joints?

Edit: It just occured to me that it could also be short-related. Have you poked around with a multimeter at all? Specifically between the + and - pads.

MrKilometer

what version of Betaflight?

So you have the build finished and when you try and take off it cuts out, or on the bench in BetaFlight it cuts out? Sounds like the ESC isn't getting enough voltage or it's faulty. I have heard of Diatone having some rough quality control. Can you attach a photo of the ESC solder joints?

Edit: It just occured to me that it could also be short-related. Have you poked around with a multimeter at all? Specifically between the + and - pads.

I'm in the bench-testing phase, and the motors cut out above a certain rpm. I was using an iFlight 4-in-1, and was having the same issue, so I replaced it with the Diatone unit. I haven't tried checking the connections with a multimeter, but there are not any wires touching on the esc or fc.

EDIT: I'm using a smokestopper, so that may be cutting the current from the battery if there is a short. Here are the solder joints in the ESC:
B43198DC-B4F4-4866-B2D0-AB7B6CC447E0.jpeg

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member

I'm in the bench-testing phase, and the motors cut out above a certain rpm. I was using an iFlight 4-in-1, and was having the same issue, so I replaced it with the Diatone unit. I haven't tried checking the connections with a multimeter, but there are not any wires touching on the esc or fc. I'll send a photo when I get a chance.
That is BetaFlight Configurator. What version of BetaFlight on the quad?

MrKilometer

Found the problem!

It was the motors - I tested each individual motor, and they would shut off at 16,000ish rpm (~1/2 throttle) when spun up one at a time. I plugged in a different motor from a scrapped R/C plane, and that got all the way to full throttle! The substitute motor is about the same size and has about the same kv rating as the ones that failed (2205 vs. 2207, and 2300kv vs. 2550kv, respectively). I'll try cleaning out all of them, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to get new ones. Could be worse 🤷‍♂️

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Found the problem!

It was the motors - I tested each individual motor, and they would shut off at 16,000ish rpm (~1/2 throttle) when spun up one at a time. I plugged in a different motor from a scrapped R/C plane, and that got all the way to full throttle! The substitute motor is about the same size and has about the same kv rating as the ones that failed (2205 vs. 2207, and 2300kv vs. 2550kv, respectively). I'll try cleaning out all of them, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to get new ones. Could be worse 🤷‍♂️
Not necessarily the motors themselves - just a lower amp draw with the 2205 motor. The photo of the wires on the original motors looks like the wires are not in the best of shape. Perhaps better wires and cleaner splicing between motors and ESC pads.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Also, what gauge are battery leads? They look pretty small for a 45 amp ESC. Your battery leads to your ESC should be the same gauge (or bigger) than the leads on the batteries you will use.

MrKilometer

Also, what gauge are battery leads? They look pretty small for a 45 amp ESC. Your battery leads to your ESC should be the same gauge (or bigger) than the leads on the batteries you will use.
20 AWG, so smaller than the motor leads.

Not necessarily the motors themselves - just a lower amp draw with the 2205 motor. The photo of the wires on the original motors looks like the wires are not in the best of shape. Perhaps better wires and cleaner splicing between motors and ESC pads.

The 2207s have worked in the past with the same battery and a lower amp esc. The motors are pretty dirty though, so I'm hoping that disassembling and cleaning them will help. I'll redo the wires as well. Thanks for all the input!