Different idea.

wrench797

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought of using foam board as ribs, leading, and trailing edges and then using that clear heat shring window "insulating" film they sell all over in the fall as a covering?? Seems like it would be super light and look kinda cool. I know it is more labor intensive as I have done the old school balsa/silkspan builds as a kid. But for some applicaions, it might be worth the extra effort and maintain a light aircraft. I have not put alot of thought into this so I am sure I am overlooking some pitfalls but it popped in my head for some reason and I figured I would put it out there and see where it went.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Are you into some superlight Indoor planes?
Like this plane with a lot of light holes covered with mylar :
YAK_55_ETOC_(1).JPG

Or
something really light like this - will not wotk with foam as a skeleton as it has no real strength compared to balsa.

KFC

HodgeHound Mercenary
I'd have to agree with pgerts on this one. Applying heat shrink film over a foam framework would undoubtedly distort the wing, but you might try using foam and wood to make a composite framework that you could wrap in heat-shrink film. Maybe use a balsa stick for the leading and trailing edges and the spars, then you could make the ribs from foam and use thin balsa strips on the top and bottom of the ribs.