Dissenting option on the Bixler v1

crashmaniac

Hey PunkStar, seems like you have had bad luck with your Bixler... IMHO, it's not a perfect Lego-type fit, and it's not super-strong carbon-infused either... But for me it flies really well, can carry a load of weight, and looks fairly well after a great deal of punishment.

I agree, seems our wannabie aeromodel designer come one time computer tech, Punkstar is either very hard to please or just had bad luck, we need keep in mind the cost of this great Bixler by HK, we're not buying a 747 here !

There is not much he does like about anything really, "For example... Canadian gov motorcycle helmet law & pollution control " :) listen it's a hobby, you can always make extra mods yourself you know, if the basic purchase is not to your specs, man :)

Last edited:
I agree, seems our wannabie aeromodel designer come one time computer tech, Punkstar is either very hard to please or just had bad luck, we need keep in mind the cost of this great Bixler by HK, we're not buying a 747 here !

There is not much he does like about anything really, "For example... Canadian gov motorcycle helmet law & pollution control " :) listen it's a hobby, you can always make extra mods yourself you know, if the basic purchase is not to your specs, man :)

I'm a bit of both. I just really appreciate good design/engineering and a bad example/experience just bugs the hell outta me.
However... I can easily be convinced to change my mind in the face of compelling arguments.
The ship has sailed for me in terms of the Bixler 1, but I just watched a rave review on the Bixler 2... I may indeed change my opinion on the Bixler line and try V2.

But my thoughts on V1 still stand - crap build quality.

Punkstar can you post up some pics of the tail? And if you've already got the camera out, showing the poor fit of the two halves would be interesting to see as well. You know, the whole thing about 'A picture says a 1000 words'.

Good idea. I'll take some shots in the next few days - maybe a video. I tried a new glue the other day so I need to check on it anyhow.

An update to the story...
Finally got a replacement motor from HK.... took weeks!
When it arrived I had sent my dx8 in to horizon for repair.... seems it stopped binding.
Well - within 2 weeks I had the dx8 back - they fixed it along with some switches that were iffy and a whole list of stuff. I'm sure it's off warranty but they charged me zip!
Now THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Back to HK. So when I got my radio back - figure it was time to install this motor. Well - low and behold - it's not the right motor.
Took several days to work it out with them - to get them to understand it's not the right motor. They informed me it's the "upgraded" motor because it would take a "long long time" to get the right one.
This one won't fit - in fact it's not the same type (outrunner). Ugh

Getting real fed up with HK. I'll buy some electronics and stuff from them time to time, and I love the nano-tech batteries - great price to boot. But nightmare experience with this plane.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Typical treatment from Horizon
Typical treatment from Hobbyking

Easy to make an mount that will most likely work with the motor they sent you.
Show us some pics :) If you don't like the plane, you don't like the plane.
I had an Easy Star that we never were happy with, put it back together a few times before tossing it into the bin ;)