DIY Firewall

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A lot of people 3D print them. There are several to download on this forum & on Thingiverse.

Any thin material will work, I have used old paneling. Currently, I use paint stirring sticks from Wal-Mart, the heavy duty ones for a 5 gallon bucket of paint.

Tench745

Master member
I cut mine out of 1/8" hobby plywood. Here's a dimensioned drawing of the basic FT firewall.
FT Firewall.JPG

Edit to add: These dimensions are from the original FT firewalls. The newer ones are essentially the same, but the rectangular cutout is slightly larger and there are multiple holes pre-drilled for motor mounting.

Last edited:

Foamforce

A simple way to do it is to print out the firewall template (from the plans) on paper, tape that onto 1/8” plywood, and then use an awl to mark the location of the six holes. Just treat the square hole as another round hole to make it easier. Then trace the perimeter. Lastly use a drill to drill out all the holes and cut the sides using a small saw, or even a utility knife. 3/32” plywood is better than 1/8” but it’s difficult to find, but I’ve found some of the decorative wood craft boards at DollarTree are about 3/32.

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
You don't need a lot of precision here. A course hack saw blade followed up by 60 or 80 grit sandpapaer works well on plywood. If you need to reinforce your firewall you can epoxy paint sticks to the back.

Shurik-1960

I use plywood boxes from imported fruits. There's just a wonderful 3-layer plywood and the boxes are given away just for free.I use this plywood to give the wings a V.