bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
I did not take a picture this morning of the dried wing, but wow, it is stiff in comparison to the other taped wing - I will add the ailerons and then take some pictures! :D

The dry weight of the wing with ailerons is 115g!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - now that I have this gorgeous wing I am kinda stumped on the aileron hinges - if I tape them I probably should at least clear coat them against moisture - obviously, the taped hinges are the go-to hinge, but I do find they move a bit and the DLG deserves some extra thought - any ideas? :D

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I am thinking that maybe the self-adhesive clear book covering that I have been experimenting with on the Ridge Rat might make a good hinge as it is sticky and tough and probably made of PP or PVC.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I am thinking that maybe the self-adhesive clear book covering that I have been experimenting with on the Ridge Rat might make a good hinge as it is sticky and tough and probably made of PP or PVC.
Could very well be, some have with tapes and such also used a little foam tac or UHU Por and glued the tape on for extra security.

bracesport

Legendary member
I decided to use a hybrid approach - three micro cable ties (V'd in the middle) combined with tape - I find the tape on its own moves a bit where the control arms are located - this will allow the ailerons to hinge without movement - the cable ties are located and epoxied at the bottom of the wing for the hinge position - after glueing I will paint the wing and then finish with the hinge tape! :D

well, that is the theory anyway!

images reduced to 1000px

IMG_7564.JPG
IMG_7565.JPG
IMG_7567.JPG
4D05D647-7136-4D3E-B968-559038A39EB1.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - actually, they look pretty cool as newsprint too - nevertheless, I am painting them silver with fluoro orange tips on the upside, and probably some black stripes on the bottom - with the success of the slope adventure in the weekend (you can see I am still overhyped), I am hoping this new DLG with have dual purpose!

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - actually, they look pretty cool as newsprint too - nevertheless, I am painting them silver with fluoro orange tips on the upside, and probably some black stripes on the bottom - with the success of the slope adventure in the weekend (you can see I am still overhyped), I am hoping this new DLG with have dual purpose!

I still have to go out and try my DLG, I don't want to break it again :)

bracesport

Legendary member
The silver finish is on and next, I will add the fluoro highlights to tips - the AUW @1.3x160mm cord centre is 110g - after the fluoro tips are painted I will add some tape to the aileron tips as they are small and currently unsupported by the cable tie hinges. :D

images reduced to 1000px

IMG_7591.jpg
IMG_7593.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
In the weekend I managed to break off the wing from the fuse on one landing - the hot glue held but the foam tore out - the field fix was tape which worked a treat which got me thinking about non glued wing mounting - my current plan was to make 4x 3mm screw mounts but given how well the tape worked I may rethink that to 4x 3mm posts and some tape to hold it down. :D

image reduced to 1000px

IMG_7569.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
In the weekend I managed to break off the wing from the fuse on one landing - the hot glue held but the foam tore out - the field fix was tape which worked a treat which got me thinking about non glued wing mounting - my current plan was to make 4x 3mm screw mounts but given how well the tape worked I may rethink that to 4x 3mm posts and some tape to hold it down. :D

image reduced to 1000px

Well the stronger you make it just means when it breaks it will be worse damage so sometimes a weak link is a good thing.