bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
@rockyboy - thanks man - but as you know if you build a second one it would be better - I made a few mistakes and paid the 'weight' penalty - I am considering having a crack at a carbon wing with the techniques I used on the pitcheron https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/vista-v2-a-slippery-pitcheron.61466/page-5#post-582750 but refined for the DLG environment - if I could pull it off it would be pretty cool - there are a few guys that make their own carbon DLG wings using the hot-wired foam blanks so it is possible, but they don't seem to use a spar (compared to the production guys). :)

bracesport

Legendary member
The weather was better 'yesterday' - but today was the day for the maiden - my mate Pete and I met at the park and I was thankful to have Pete's wisdom and skill to help with the trimming - Pete had his BAMF-2 and wow what a machine it is - it really does not matter what the conditions are Pete can launch and fly around for 10 minutes without raising a sweat - me on the other hand, I am still counting my flights in the seconds!

Apart from the importance of trimming I can see I am flying with too much stick input and the more I just let it ride the better it flew - today was about trimming not power launching and anything fancy, and although it did not look it, the wind was a bit stiffer than ideal.

bracesport

Legendary member
have you seen the new YODA from Joe Wurtz http://f3j.in.ua/yoda.html - Vladimirs models is making the new ship and my friend Pete here in NZ has had a fly - it features multi dihedral, ailerons and flaps, so under braking we now have a crow option - Pete still thinks hi BAMF2 is hard to beat (but he has ordered a YODA) - seems like this is modern take on the old HLG's - I like it!

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.27.45 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Here is some progress on my next build - I plan to make a carbon fibre wing and fuse of my own design based on the BAMF wing and the YODA polyhedral - I have tracked down some carbo-weave cloth and am researching my hot wire options while getting the CAD done - the poly wing moves us from 4 servos to 6 servos, but we get the crow braking - it will be an interesting project.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.21.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.21.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.21.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.23.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.54.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.54.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 11.52.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 11.52.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 11.52.34 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
yes you gotta have a winter project! My mate has flown the YODA here in NZ and thinks it flies well enough to order one - he says the launch height is good and the braking is easier (but not better) than the usual flaperons - He always laughs when I say I am learning to fly DLG on a BAMF (given they are such a high performance machine)!

bracesport

Legendary member
The foil templates are very dinky - only 4mm at the tip, so this will be interesting - I wonder if I could 3D print them and then add a foil tape to protect them from the heat - might try that!
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 8.32.39 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Well this all turned out well!

I used a straight pull wire on a pivot point (as the foils are tapered) - my templates are 4mm ABS prints (handles a higher temp than PLA) - this section of foil is 9mm thick and has camber on the TE - it is my take on a SYNERGY II foil - I used welding wire and the voltage was only 4v - my foam is only scrap for the testing, I need to get a new block - great result for one go!

IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
chipping away on the new fuse moulds - basics are roughed out - now I will model the male and female moulds to print - the green section is the main mould, and given the wing has camber at the TE there is a undercut on the mould - I am planning to have the inner mould with a breakout section to allow the surface under the wing to release - the outer mould will be in two pieces to achieve its release - I am using the old pool cue again for the boom. :)

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 6.49.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 6.48.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 6.50.46 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Here are the male and female moulds for the main section of the fuse/boom - the internal parts can break inwards after the pool cue is first removed - the outer parts will easily split off the mould.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 5.51.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 6.00.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 5.59.59 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
The first prints are done for the internal fuse moulds - two of the tail end sections failed so I am reprinting them at the moment - nevertheless the parts all fit pretty well - once moulded the this slivers should be able to be prised out and then the top and bottom halves can be removed - this allows me to have undercuts (one of note is the heal of the wing as it seats against the back wall) - before moulding these pieces will be covered with a shrink film or cling wrap. :)

IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I finished the top and bottom outer moulds and everything seems to fit pretty well.

I have managed to find some 50mm polythene flat bags to use as shrink wraps (waiting on that before proceeding) - in the meantime I am recycling some 3K 5mm braided sleeve as tow - I also measured (roughly) my glass cloth @30 g/sqm, my 50mm braided sleeve @40 g/m, and my 25mm braided sleeve @20 g/m.

Carbon ship - 270g target - 68g fuse - 140g wing - 15g tail feathers - 32g 6 servos - 5g receiver - 10g battery

IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I am making a start on the fuse - step one is wrapping the fuse/boom with cling film as the release surface and adding some 3K tow for bending strength - I added a fillet between the fuse and the boom to smooth out the transition.

IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG