bracesport DLG

Wildthing

Legendary member

bracesport

Legendary member
I have placed the braided sleeves ready for some epoxy, but decided to use some biaxial cloth under the fuse braid for the double thickness - the plan will be to wet out the cloth in the fuse with the boom braid pulled back - once that is done I will wet out the boom braid and then sleeve over the fuse braid - wrap and add the outer moulds to shape the fuse area.

IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
On with the epoxy!

First layer of the fuse and the raw boom was wet out and then the boom braid placed, wet out, and wrapped - the second layer of fuse braid was added next, wet out, and wrapped from the rear just short of the front wing tip lip - then I worked the braid into the lip area with a popsicle stick followed by wrapping with the cling film - with all that done I added the outer moulds and did a second wrap of the boom.

Now we wait!

IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2229.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
De-moulding - No moulds were harmed in this process!

the outer moulds all popped off easily - where I had split outer moulds the surface is very good compared to the tapered end cap without clamping (I will make a new split mould for that section) - the internal moulds worked a treat and also released easily - the outer surfaces do need some cleaning up as my cling film shows the winding lines - this is to be expected - 42g is not too bad!

I have an idea to mould in the wing mount nuts (something to try), so I will make another fuse with the knowledge gained here!

IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2240.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I have made some more moulds in CAD to do two things.

(1) improve the fuse moulding quality by using outer male moulds over all sections.
(2) to allow me to try moulding directly into the outer moulds using a ballon to compress the carbon fibre.

I will do some more trials next week - the first version from this week is not too bad, and is nice and stiff, bu I wonder if I can make the boom lighter given the braided CF sleeve are 3k (quite heavy) - I will try and roll some of my carbon cloth as an experiment!

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 12.40.37 PM.png

jonoashton

Hey Phill
This is looking awesome
I use a long balloon when I make my scratcho fuse and it took some time to get the process right but now it works well. Too much to type out on my phone but call me some time and I will tell you about my early failures so as you don’t do the same
Jono

bracesport

Legendary member
@jonoashton - I am not at work today, but I hear my foam has arrived (yay) - I will do some prep cutting the blocks next week , but I am keen to get a good fuse done before I focus on the wing - I think I will go for the female moulds with a balloon as this will give me a good finish (more like production ships) - I will give you a call!

Oh, we still have to maiden the pitcheron!!

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - thanks, well you know how addictive the building gig can be! I seem to be drawn to the composites these days - I am looking forward to moulding some fuse parts this week - I found a couple more pool cues so I will probably end up making a couple with different boom characteristics.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I have added the first coat of PVA mould release - I watched a video where they were moulding directly into 3D printed moulds using only the PVA release material (no wax) - we shall see won't we! :)

IMG_2332.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I used paper to make some basic templates for the glass and carbon fibre layups - one side of each mould has a salvage to lap over and join the halves.

IMG_2338.JPG