bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
This morning I got the battery in and balanced the CG with two lead fishing weights - off to the park shortly!

EB630402-941E-45A3-BDA4-14146F4D0FAF.jpeg
1B2382A4-8992-4B46-87B9-BE3648F058EB.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
hi guys - primarily I wanted to know if it would fly at all - the added nose weight got it balancing on my fingers quite nicely - when we got to the park it was a tad windy, but then I realised it would be kind of like a slope soaring test - I have to say it flies very nicely!

I did try a DLG launch but I got left-roll again, so I decided not to risk breakages - with the flaps programmed I removed my right turn launch mode so I reverted to hand launching - I was very happy to have no flight damage on this trip - I do have way too much rate on the ailerons, so I need to tone that down before the next outing - shame about the morning sun into the wind direction, viewing is better on fullscreen!

sadly, I forgot to test the flaps!

@flyboa - you are right this will be a good sloper!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@FAI-F1D - I was looking at your BUG thread from 2017 and I noticed that V tails can be launched discus-style - I am guessing there is a technique to it, and I see it might require a Y tail?

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - everything is better with a makeover! :D BTW, all my electronics worked a treat! Can I ask you what trows you have on your ailerons, mine are way too over that top!

bracesport

Legendary member
@rockyboy @Piotrsko @Mid7night - given your comments over the weekend, I measured the CG today at 50mm from the front of the 150mm root wing chord (30%) - my question is should I add a touch of nose weight or go for the down elevator? I was also considering adding a bit more elevator size (depth) - thoughts?

IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6504.JPG

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@rockyboy @Piotrsko @Mid7night - given your comments over the weekend, I measured the CG today at 50mm from the front of the 150mm root wing chord (30%) - my question is should I add a touch of nose weight or go for the down elevator? I was also considering adding a bit more elevator size (depth) - thoughts?

Balancing with no fingers :)

I am far from an expert and with these types of gliders I have 0 experience but if you are trimming the elevator up or down you are adding restriction. Adding weight is also a killer and I know you have 0 room to move the battery around but if were me as an experiment I would add a little more lead to the nose to a point where no elevator trim is required (level) . Use the same cg marks just record at what or how much the nose is angled down when on the tri pods .

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - thanks as always for your input - without any adjustment on launch it seemed to want to lift, I did not try a gentle launch as it was a tad windy - I will add some lead with blue tack (removable) and give it another go - looking Andrew Newton's slope soaring mods, he recommends a decent elevator surface, so I am also going to add a touch more surface to mine - then I will toss it off a slope and see what happens! I also plan to do the same with my TT (slope it)!

Nevertheless, I am still keen to crack the DLG launch too - I used to have a launch mode programmed that I never tried, and ended up adding flaps instead - On my FSi6s there are only 4 mixes available so I will make a new model (programme) and trade flaps for a park launch mode, and keep the existing model (programme) for the slope - I don't have a rudder, so I will mix in a bit of right aileron and possibly some up elevator to try and counter the left roll - the i6s has buttons on the back and I can use the left side one to momentarily activate the launch mode in my left hand while the ship is in my right hand.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
If I've already asked here, How do you set up your transmitter? Launch, glide slow and Glide fast (spoiler toggle)?
I am about to return to this project, so I can finish it.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FoamyDM - I have an i6s thread with a few ideas - I don't have many modes on my planes, other than the flaps/launch on the DLG and all the bits I covered in my Pheonix Hybrid thread - at the moment I am just happy to be flying any way possible! :LOL: what Tx are you using, and how many channels?