• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DLG homage to 'flyboa'

bracesport

Well-known member
@flyboa - I can beef up the wing strength once I know what I am dealing with - the v1DLG wing supports +300g of AUW (incl nose ballast) and worse case it will be a sloper! :LOL:

Tail feels a tad whippy! o_O
 

bracesport

Well-known member
I was thinking to have a go at the wing tomorrow and trying the ironing method we have been messing around with - the ironing itself is possible but the glueing is somewhat problematic as once ironed the foam is quite rigid compared with just sanding a taper - what to do, what to do - for this test, I have put a foam sheet on top with weights to hold the FB while glueing and we will see how it looks in the morning!

Maybe a vac bag could do it better - I have one at work but I need to find a long slim bag! :D

IMG_6744.JPG IMG_6745.JPG
 

bracesport

Well-known member
I seem to have my ideas in the wee small hours of the night when my subconscious is at work - the ironing was a tad complex to control which got me thinking about @thenated0g 's hot wire on foam - could I? :cool:

This morning I whipped up a handheld hot wire and with the top and bottom edges on a guidewire, the result was pretty good - the TE is a knife-edge - I need to improve the tensioning part of the hot wire as it loosened when hot o_O

IMG_6750.JPG IMG_6751.JPG IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6754.JPG
 

bracesport

Well-known member
now a quick test with the domestic food vac seal bags - they come in a continuous length so could be ideal to glue the wing - will still add some weight ontop - the domestic vac bag seal is average, but looks like it is enough for the task - the Gorilla glue still foamed in the bag.

the result looks pretty good so far - need to try the wing now! :)

IMG_6755.JPG IMG_6757.JPG IMG_6758.JPG
 
Last edited:

bracesport

Well-known member
reviewing the weight - the fuse with one servo is 95g - the (4) raw wing blanks without removing one side of the card and tapering the foam is running at 190g - if the final wing could be 150g + the fuse + three more servos, RX, and battery I might keep this ship under 300g. :p

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.29.54 PM.png
 

Wildthing

Well-known member
I used the vacu seal a few years back when I made the feet/pontoons for Lizzie .
20160223_104528.jpg

Personally I don't like the Gorilla glue because of it's expanding properties.
The hot wire wing is sharp and well done but the ironed ones will be way stronger. ;) Weight of course won't be the same, hotwired will be lighter :)
 

Wildthing

Well-known member
the building is not my enemy - it's the flying skills that are lacking! I just need moooore time!
That is the perfect reason to keep the builds as simple and cheap as possible for atleast the flying school ones :D :D . Your building and designing is fantastic, keep up the great work. I wish I had half your skills.
 
@thenated0g - today's the day - here we go with the left-wing! o_O

blanks cut and the high point for the CG line marked - I used a MIG welding rod as the guide taped along the CG line and another short piece taped to the table as an edge guide - I broke a couple of hot wires at 4.5v, so I reduced to 3.5v and cut at a slower speed (the foam cut very nicely) - I peeled out the paper between the CG line and aileron to let the wire exit the foam - after the two TE's and the top wing LE were cut along the guides I did a small amount of sanding to even out the surface (hardly required any sanding) - next was the Gorilla glue and the drywall tape (I decided to run that full length) - then the VAC bag - the VAC bag suction is a bit crap but it did hold the halves in place, while I added some weights.

now we wait! :cool:

IMG_6825.JPG IMG_6826.JPG IMG_6828.JPG IMG_6829.JPG IMG_6830.JPG IMG_6831.JPG IMG_6832.JPG IMG_6833.JPG
 
Last edited:

Wildthing

Well-known member
today's the day - here we go with the left-wing! o_O

blanks cut and the high point for the CG line marked - I used a MIG welding rod as the guide taped along the CG line and another short piece taped to the table as an edge guide - I broke a couple of hot wires at 4.5v, so I reduced to 3.5v and cut at a slower speed (the foam cut very nicely) - I peeled out the paper between the CG line and aileron to let the wire exit the foam - after the two TE's and the top wing LE were cut along the guides I did a small amount of sanding to even out the surface (hardly required any sanding) - next was the Gorilla glue and the drywall tape (I decided to run that full length) - then the VAC bag - the VAC bag suction is a bit crap but it did hold the halves in place, while I added some weights.

now we wait! :cool:
Looks like a great start to a super wing.