Do I need 3D glasses

SubZero-AK

Frozen Idiot
3D flying is about power and skill...as someone stated control is an illusion. I had the please to see some AMAZING real world 3D flying in 1999 at the Reno Air Race when I watched Wayne Hadley pilot his Turbo Raven. Truly an incredible airplane because of it's PT-6 Turboprop that has the ability to put the prop into beta (reverse pitch).

He performed a maneuver in which he took off into a loop and landed at the exact same line on the runway where he started. On take off, he climbed directly into the loop at max power. Then at the apex of his loop, he threw the prop into beta and descended to the runway where he took off and stopped exactly where he started! Pretty incredible!

Then he demonstrated the plane "hanging on the prop", hovering the plane. He was even able to descend, then power up and climb out if it and translate back into normal forward flight. I need to see if I still have him on video from that show!

Sadly he crashed about a month later performing the same manuever and was seriously injured. He claimed it was a flame out, but the NTSB said their examination of the powerplant and prop showed he was under power and it was pilot error.

Check out his website:

http://www.waynehandley.com/archive.html

There are video of his crash on YouTube and lots of people have built models of his former plane.

Mark
WL7NI

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I am not a 3D pilot in fact far from it but I think it has something to do with the adrenalin rush you get when you have something in control that should be out of control and when are you going to lose control.

I think you're right. I remember the Flite Test episode when Aaron Bates? had that expensive giant beast that costs a few grand. There has to be a lot of adrenalin going when you know how much money a crash would cost you. It has to be for that adrenalin rush as to why someone would spend that kind of money for something so... so... whats the words I'm looking for... Destined to crash a horribly painful wreck, right in the wallet.

Probably also explains the fascination that most 3D pilots seem to have with standing right next to their plane as they hoover it. Seems like a bad idea. I guess I shouldn't say anything, I like to fly my planes straight at me and then turn them off course at the last second. Which is a real adrenalin rush because I'm a horrible pilot.